in need of help

Reaction score
We have receintly bought a house with a sm garden pond. The neighbors have told us that it has been untended for about three years. So imagine our suprise when we find one very large goldfish, 12 smaller golds and a couple multi colored ones.
The water is very green atm. I am at a loss as to what to do with it. I know that i have to clean out some debre that has fallen in and other things. but other than that what do I do ? PLEASE HELP TY for any ideas

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here we go again. There are probably a dozen new pond owners that have posted this exact same thing. there is so much information that is needed to help. two suggestions, one get a test kit and post the results along with the size pond, water temp, pics if possible, etc. 2-read up on peoples post and get familar with do and don't. If they are living and look healthy at the moment, read and test. they made it this long they can make a few more days while everyone has a chance to read and give input. Ask questions. I suggest a thread that contains these results and has pics as the more active the thread becomes the more people read and will help give there opinions. Will they all be what is needed to be done. Probably not. You need to get as much edjucated information as possible to try and get on the right track. The best thing for the pond you could have done was start by asking the question. You've come to the right spot, welcome aboard and hopefully we can get you on the right track to enjoying the fun world of Watergardening.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
js0205
Yep I agree w/ Larkin, start a thread and let us know what the specifics are and add pics and let us know if the pond has a filter etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi js0205, Welcome! The first thing to consider is that your fish are probably happy right now. It may look wretched to you, but algae provides: food, dissolved oxygen, utilizes nitrates that are produced as the end of the cycle that breaks down wastes, and provides cover from predators. Once you clean the water of algae you will need to replace everything the algae is providing with something else. Don't be in a rush and read as much as you can here before you do anything!

Reaction score
welcome
js0205

larkin and keith have said probably two of the most important things for someone new to know... don't panic and take your time and all should be fine..and remember to get the LIQUID water test kit and post results as soon as you can

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif
to the group! like they say above read, take you time, learn and all will work out.

Ask a Question