Inhabitants other than fish for pond

Reaction score
Crayfish can catch and eat small fish. Regular pond goldfish, not fantails, normally have no problem not being caught, and goldfish can eat crayfish. So depends how natural a natural pond you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Newts and salamander tadpoles can be a feature in the winter months, when cool waters make visibility good.

There's small freshwater mussels just 1/2" in size which are indicators of rather healthy water conditions

I used to have a fascination and admiration for big snakes, attracted to gobbling the bullfrogs which are rather destructive, however this Spring, all those were gobbled by the one large snapping turtle

A pond is a wild place!

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Maybe N Texas crayfish. ;)

I should set the record straight that while Texas has been and continues to be very good to us we are not and will never claim to be Texans. There is a humorous bumper sticker that reads "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could!". As for me "I wasn't born in Texas but got here because my employer said move to Texas or lose your job.". LOL

Truthfully, sometimes finding a true native Texan is akin to finding a true Californian. It was never our plan for Texas to be our final home but our children finished growing up here, got married and presented us with precious grandchildren. That plus I had to retire early due to my health and the Dallas area does have top notch doctors, hospitals and medical research. Regardless of our dreams for retirement we live in great, friendly, safe neighborhood. That being the small city of Desoto. We know and cherish that God blesses us each and every day.

Oh, we are not Dallas Cowboy fans nor do we believe that the Cowboys are America's Team. :)

Ask a Question