inherited a pond with our new house - What to do? What to do?

Reaction score
Just a quick update: Pond has been doing really well. We've lost a few fish to either a raccoon or heron. They're just comets, but they're growing really well and very active. Eight of them at present. My son loves them. We also got some mosquito fish to handle the larvae. We started with nine and must have about thirty now. I didn't know they'd breed! :)

My new problem is with a food I recently got. We were out so I ran past a PetCo. I knew they wouldn't have the best selection, but I found a small, floating goldfish pellet. When I tossed the food in, I immediately saw a sort of oil slick coming off them. I figured it was nutrients or protein coming off the food. It's still there from last night. Fish don't seem to mind it, but I'm nervous about using the food again, if it's going to foul up the water. Ideas?

Reaction score
If it proves to be more trouble than it's worth to tear it down, it stays. ;)

It does provide shade and I could drill holes in it to drain from the grow beds, camouflaging the pipes.
Your cat (?) will love sitting on the bridge and be entertained hour hours!!

Reaction score
I never thought about the concept of siphoning before. I have only messed with concrete also, so not much experience with liners. Regardless, looks like a great project without having to build from scratch. I agree though, it's tiny and that bridge seems to really detract. YOu could even just cut part of the bridge out, then coat the rest with something, maybe a different color to add contrast and it will be a little shade spot for the fish and you can still stand on top of it and look down as well as putting pots, plants on it. Did you pick the plants you want yet?

Ask a Question