Inherited pond. Just found out my pump is not a filter!

Reaction score
Hi I just moved into my house a year ago and inherited a pond! Dimensions are 8 L 6 W (front half is 4 W 2 deep) 3.5 deep so I think it's about 700 gallons. There were about 20 5 inch comets all but 1 died over the winter after I followed the previous owner's advice not needing a heater and just keep a hole in the ice. They were all alive until mid January when the pond froze over.( previous owner said that he did that the year before and not one died) When spring came I was surprised to find one alive and well. The water was super green but cleared out by april. I have bought some water lettuce, oxygenating plants that cover about 50 percent of pond currently, the pond is well shaded by a tree and I know from last summer that these plants grow super fast in the summer that I have to throw out a few bunch weekly. I have restocked the pond with 6 4 inch comets, 5 4 inch shubunkins, 2 4 inch koi, and 1 10 inch koi. A raccoon I'm assuming took my 8 inch shubunkin and I wanted another larger show piece fish and saw the 10 inch koi for only 25 bucks so I couldn't resist and bought him, I now cover my pond at night and have my chow chow guard during the day. I understand my pond is small but once the fish get big I intend on trading them in for smaller fish, buy I always want to keep one big one in there. So my question is I have a pump superflo 2000 for ponds up to 800 gallons the one with the spong thing attached to it. It's plugged into and extension cord that is burried in the ground attached to the electrical outlet on the wall of my house 20 feet away. What kind of filter cab I get for less than 200 bucks. And would this filter somehow attach to the pump. I don't want to run another cord since its so much work to dig. I do about 10 percent water change per week and the water is crystal clear. The new stock is about a month old and are doing well and look healthy. I now know this won't last long without a filter. Any suggestions or constructive criticisms will be appreciated.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome to GPF. You can make a DIY filter here for under $100. I have about $110 into my 3 doc style filters(minus the $300 pump) and they are working great. Best thing I ever did next to getting a better pump. Your pump would run one or two of these im pretty sure.

Attachments

• P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 241

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check out the diy section, there are some nice filters you can make easily. The sponge most likely keeps debris from entering the pump.

Ask a Question