Installing my new Sequence 750 pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just noticed that Webbs has your Quiet Drive pumps on sale. You just have to be careful with their pricing because sometimes they begin higher, so double check with Underwater Warehouse, I know Quiet Drive is specific to Webbs.

Yes I spoke to Webbs and they told me QuietDrive is a Sequence private label for Webbs. So basically whatever model of QuietDrive there is a corresponding Sequence that is mostly the same exact thing only lower price if QuietDrive.

I have basically removing Sequence/QuietDrive from consideration because I am not a fan of the pump and priming pot being two separate items and the pot doesn't have a flat bottom or a support base to stabilize the two pieces. The pot sits like a humpty dumpty so every time you open the pot lid, the pot may shift a bit and the connection between pot and motor gets some movement too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another reason I am more skeptical and careful is I already spent some $ on the Sequence pump and priming pot, which are not returnable.
I understand this line of thinking. I've done it plenty of times. Make a mistake when you don't know what you don't know, then go on a crusade to know everything so you don't make a mistake again.

But what is really puzzling me is all these friction loss calculations. How can one calculation says 20' of head ft and another 45' of head ft? Add to it the static head then you have 26' vs 51'. That's more than double. Then somewhere I read that add on another 10' if you may consider a filter...this is the reason I am struggling is this wide range of head needed.

I think this is because you are trying to reference way too many different sources. The only thing you need to figure this all out is to determine how many GPH you want coming out the end of a pipe and the friction loss tables I linked you to earlier.

Everything else is a simplified tool that is going to use the same info in the charts, but make a bunch of assumptions behind the scenes that may or may not be right for your situation. Stick to the engineering tables. They'll get you the correct answer.

I don't think you've mentioned a filter before (or I wasn't paying attention). What are you using for a filter that you think will add a significant amount of dynamic head?

I have basically removing Sequence/QuietDrive from consideration because I am not a fan of the pump and priming pot being two separate items and the pot doesn't have a flat bottom or a support base to stabilize the two pieces. The pot sits like a humpty dumpty so every time you open the pot lid, the pot may shift a bit and the connection between pot and motor gets some movement too.
The benefit of having them as two separate units is that when one breaks, you can replace just that. If you don't care about that, then an all-in-one unit is nice to have. Since you already have a pot, though, I would just look at adjusting how your pump is mounted so that the pot can be attached in a way that eliminates that "humpty dumpty" action you mentioned.

And remind me why you aren't looking at submersible pumps? That could really simplify things for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think this is because you are trying to reference way too many different sources. The only thing you need to figure this all out is to determine how many GPH you want coming out the end of a pipe and the friction loss tables I linked you to earlier.

Yes I looked at several sources, because many of them have things the others didn't. One web site has friction loss number for couplings, while others didn't. Another web site has friction loss number for a check valve and a basket strainer and others didn't. So I tried to account for everything I have to make the numbers more representative of the system I have.

Right now, I am looking at 40 feet of head at 50GPM (or 3000GPH almost 2X pond volume) being my sweet spot.

I don't think you've mentioned a filter before (or I wasn't paying attention). What are you using for a filter that you think will add a significant amount of dynamic head?

I do not have a filter right now. I am not sure I need one, but I am not ruling out the need for one eventually...and I don't know if that should change my pump selection base on a may be. I heard some say just add another 10' of head to account for that, if so that will make it 50' at 50GPM.[/QUOTE]

The benefit of having them as two separate units is that when one breaks, you can replace just that. If you don't care about that, then an all-in-one unit is nice to have. Since you already have a pot, though, I would just look at adjusting how your pump is mounted so that the pot can be attached in a way that eliminates that "humpty dumpty" action you mentioned.

The problem with the pot is the base is like a pivot point. I called Sequence and asked if they have a cradle or base that both the motor and pot sit on, they don't. The only thing I can think of to stabilize the pot is to throw some concrete at the bottom around both, which will make taking the drain plug out impossible.

And remind me why you aren't looking at submersible pumps? That could really simplify things for you.

The main thing is because the unlike most ponds I have seen, where the pond is excavated and a liner put on, so their is dirt along the perimeter to hide a skimmer, or electric cords, or piping etc...my pond is completely lined with concrete and along the perimeter are boulders built up. That's all hardscape and it's difficult to hide cords and pipes except for the setup that already exist. Also the deepest spot in the pond is underneath the wood bridge, and I don't want to put a submersible that I need to drag out from under the bridge each time it needs service or maintenance.

IMG_20230915_190927.jpg

Do you know the difference between "high head" vs "high flow" pumps? I looked at their respective flow vs head curves and they look quite similar.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I will probably make a decision in the next day or two and make a purchase. My current candidates. All of them have an integrated priming pot, all self priming, all 120V.

Anjon Manufacturing LandShark External 5,500 GPH Pump

EasyPro GV75S 3/4 hp GVS Series Self-Priming External Pump – Medium Head

Performance Pro Artesian2 1/2hp 3450 RPM Pump
The interesting thing is this series has two version, a high head (A2-1/2-HH) and a high flow (A2-1/2-HF) version. Looking at the curves ( https://www.pondexpo.com/products/performancepro/A2-1-2-HH/ ) for each I am not seeing a significant difference for 50GPH. May be both will work but not sure which one to pick.

Advantage Evolution EHFS6100 1/2 HP High Pressure Pump SVL 115/230 volt Pumphttps://www.advantageman.com/High_Head_Pressure_External_Pond_Pump_p/adm_ehfs6100.htm

I am having trouble finding reviews for these pumps based on other consumers' experiences so it's kind of like shooting in the dark a bit. I called two pond retailers and asked them to compare 2 or 3 that they offer that's on my list, and they both recommend the Artesian 2 which is the most expensive one, when I asked them why they recommend it over the others the answers were "we sold many of them" or "I feel they are better".

Another question I wanted to ask is some of these pumps according to the pictures show a black color plastic half union connection at the inlet/outlet like below:

C337.jpg

I assume if it's black it's ABS and not PVC? I can't find the answer in their manufacturer's technical sheets. So if I have PVC piping I need to make the connection with special PVC to ABS cement which means its a glued joint and not a solvent weld friction fit joint. Or is this black color PVC?

Another one, some of the pumps come with a 15' cord. I am 2' from the power source so 15' is too long. I do need enough length to move it out of the way for servicing, my question is if I change out the cord to a hard wired connection will that void the manufacturer's warranty? My thinking is I can just take the current GFCI receptacle and wire the connection to the load side of the GFCI, and then use a NMLF conduit to the pump should be fairly easy but I have no idea what the junction box looks like on the motor if it's a gasket sealed connection for the cord and the KO hole needs to be enlarged for a 1/2" LF connector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I narrowed down to the Evolution EHFS6100 and the Performance Pro A2-1/2-HH.

Called a pond supply store to inquire about accessories, availability for both and was advised the Evolution availability is unsure...the Performance Pro one is available, also commented that their experience with the PP A2 has been excellent and the Evolution could be a bit flaky. So I guess that made the decision for me.

So I think I will go with the Performance Pro A2-1/2-HH. I found a good price at Cascade Pond Supply, their pricing is lower than many other online pond supply. Is there a catch anyone knows about?

Reaction score
Country
United States
ordered the Performance Pro A2-1/2-HH yesterday, will test it when it arrives, may be next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I assume if it's black it's ABS and not PVC?

No. It’s almost certainly just black PVC.

if I change out the cord to a hard wired connection will that void the manufacturer's warranty? My thinking is I can just take the current GFCI receptacle and wire the connection to the load side of the GFCI

You’re focused on the wrong end of the cord. The appliance end of the cord will be in an accessible junction box. Shorten that end. Depending on the terminals in the pump, you might have to crimp some connectors on.

I found a good price at Cascade Pond Supply, their pricing is lower than many other online pond supply. Is there a catch anyone knows about?

I’ve ordered from them before. Can’t remember what I bought now, but didn’t have any issues. Believe it’s just a guy in Roseburg, OR who is dropshipping pond supplies.

I forgot to mention—since you already have a pump that you can’t return, there might have also been an option to plumb two of them (same or different pumps) in series.

When you plumb 2 identical pumps in series you essentially double the head height performance of its single counterpart.

Don’t know if that would have been an option for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will be happy with the PerformancePro, of course I have only had mine for a short time but it was easy to assemble, well built and quiet. A lot quieter than I was expecting. Even though mine had a cord, the manual did have detailed instructions on how to wire the pump, I guess for people like you that need to extend the wiring or maybe some of their pumps do not have a cord, anyway they give you instructions for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand this line of thinking. I've done it plenty of times. Make a mistake when you don't know what you don't know, then go on a crusade to know everything so you don't make a mistake again.
That has to suck , its rough knowing it all and never being wrong ..

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. It’s almost certainly just black PVC.

Thanks. I also confirmed with the manufacturer that it is PVC.

You’re focused on the wrong end of the cord. The appliance end of the cord will be in an accessible junction box. Shorten that end. Depending on the terminals in the pump, you might have to crimp some connectors on.

There are several reasons I am thinking of modifying the cord. One is the cord being 15' long that is way too long because my electrical is right there. The other reason is I did all the wiring before I decided on a pump, assuming a hard wired pump, for this reason I ran my dedicated circuit to a weatherproof junction box, and put in a GFCI receptacle there, and from there I connected a 120V timer to the load side of the GFCI, thinking I will run a non-metallic liquid flex conduit to the pump. Now if the pump has a plug in cord, I can't connect it to the timer anymore, but the upstream receptacle. If I want timer control, I need to swap them so the timer is upstream of the GFCI, or add a second receptacle downstream of the timer for the plug. Not a big deal either way. I didn't see a detail anatomy of the junction box on the pump, and whether the cord uses a special gasketed attachment to the box and whether it has a standard 1/2" KO I can use. If I need to modify it, not a big deal, just didn't know if modifying will void manufacturer's warranty.

I forgot to mention—since you already have a pump that you can’t return, there might have also been an option to plumb two of them (same or different pumps) in series.

When you plumb 2 identical pumps in series you essentially double the head height performance of its single counterpart.

Don’t know if that would have been an option for you.

Not sure. Yes I have an extra pump now. I am not sure I want to add yet another pump in the current install. I am going to test the new pump and see how well it works. The Sequence pump I am not sure what I'll do with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You will be happy with the PerformancePro, of course I have only had mine for a short time but it was easy to assemble, well built and quiet. A lot quieter than I was expecting. Even though mine had a cord, the manual did have detailed instructions on how to wire the pump, I guess for people like you that need to extend the wiring or maybe some of their pumps do not have a cord, anyway they give you instructions for it.

Which one did you get? I got the 1/2HP high head model.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Artesian 2 low rpm 1/3hp
You don't need a high head pump though . Looking at your pictures I'd think you'd have no more than 3 or 4 feet of head at max .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't need a high head pump though . Looking at your pictures I'd think you'd have no more than 3 or 4 feet of head at max .
I think you might have replied to my post by mistake. I did not get a high head pump. I went with the low rpm. OP is going for the high head pump.

Ask a Question