Installing my new Sequence 750 pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the new Artesian 2 pump arrived Wednesday night. It's been pouring rain every day this week.

Because this pump is bigger and taller, the connections need to be redone.

I finished the suction side yesterday. Today I did part of the return, waiting on two ball valves and a swing check valve.

I redid the suction side piping and got rid of 5 couplings.

IMG_20230929_182213.jpg

IMG_20230929_182248.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So the new Artesian 2 pump arrived Wednesday night. It's been pouring rain every day this week.

Because this pump is bigger and taller, the connections need to be redone.

I finished the suction side yesterday. Today I did part of the return, waiting on two ball valves and a swing check valve.

I redid the suction side piping and got rid of 5 couplings.

View attachment 160672

View attachment 160673
Funny I was just wondering today if you had installed the pump. Looks great, well as great as a pump can look, lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i hope the valves will get here this weekend so I can test to see if this pump can do the job I hope it can do. My wife said are you going to get rid of these pavers and pour a proper concrete pad for the pump to sit on LOL? So I may need to do more work yet. But I really like to backfill these trenches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i hope the valves will get here this weekend so I can test to see if this pump can do the job I hope it can do. My wife said are you going to get rid of these pavers and pour a proper concrete pad for the pump to sit on LOL? So I may need to do more work yet. But I really like to backfill these trenches.
Lol, why stop there, get a nice piece of marble imported from Italy to have the pump sit on;) And while you are at it can you remove those ugly white pipes and replace them with solid gold pipes, would look much prettier.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been raining cats and dogs non-stop. Had a two hour window in the early afternoon so I finished the return side plumbing.

IMG_20231001_115258.jpg

IMG_20231001_115315.jpg

I give the PVC cement a few hours to cure and if rain stops I will test the pump tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well today was the big test day, after I got home from work and rain stopped.

Good news is I was able to run the pump and after about 5 minutes of purging "all the air" in the line I got flow coming out of the top of the boulder. It was pretty strong so I had to dial it back a bit with a ball valve.

IMG_20231002_174015.jpg

Bad news is there is still air inside the priming basket. After priming the pipes as much as possible, then turned the pump on, water level rose inside the priming basket but never fill the priming basket 100%, it went up to where the suction inlet pipe is and kind of stay there. That doesn't seem right as my pool pump the water fills the entire priming basket. I don't know if there is an air leak somewhere on the suction side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well today was the big test day, after I got home from work and rain stopped.

Good news is I was able to run the pump and after about 5 minutes of purging "all the air" in the line I got flow coming out of the top of the boulder. It was pretty strong so I had to dial it back a bit with a ball valve.

View attachment 160742

Bad news is there is still air inside the priming basket. After priming the pipes as much as possible, then turned the pump on, water level rose inside the priming basket but never fill the priming basket 100%, it went up to where the suction inlet pipe is and kind of stay there. That doesn't seem right as my pool pump the water fills the entire priming basket. I don't know if there is an air leak somewhere on the suction side.
Congratulations on getting the pump going, looks great. I'm not sure you really have a problem with the basket not completely full. I'm definitely not a pump expert but I dont think my priming basket is completely full. I think that is more of a function of how much flow you have going through, maybe play around with the ball valve increasing and decreasing the flow to see how it affects things. I dont think there is anything in the pump instructions that say the basket has to stay completely full other than for the priming purposes. But others here might have better information on that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am still searching. Right now I have a few on my list.

(1) Quiet Drive QD6050 can do 6100GPH max head 23' but I can't find a flow vs head curve.

Technical sheet

Apparently this is made by Sequence, and it does look very similar. I wonder why a different brand.

(2) EasyPro GV75S self priming integrated priming pot

Technical sheet:

according to the curve the GV75S can do 3200GPH and push a 35' head.

(3) Anjon Manufacturing LandShark LS4600 or LS5500 self priming

pump curve:

at 3200GPH the LS4600 can do 18' head and the LS5500 can do 23' head

(4) PerformancePro Artesian 2 and they have multiple classes of external pumps, some are "high head" and some are "high flow".

The high flow 1/2HP pump:

The high head 1/2HP:

It seems both can do what I need based on the curves alone, but I am a bit confused of their differences.

I haven't looked at submersibles yet, I feel like I need to give it some serious thoughts although I would prefer to keep the external pump setup.
I would look at power consumption, unless money is no object. 24/7 x high amps can generate a big bill.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been busy on a few other projects and some international travel in November and December, but wanted to provide an update.

Remember the Sequence 750 was not able to overcome the head requirements to run my pond/fountain, so I went with the Performance Pro high head pump instead, and that worked, it was able to run my fountain and it was strong.

Also bear in mind, that I was using 1.5" PVC lines for the intake and return side, except mid way through the return the line reduces to 3/4", and I was not able to make the entire run 1.5". Well, that changed, I actually cut up the concrete boulder that the reducer was embedded in and made the entire run 1.5". Wow that made a HUGE difference, may be too much difference. The water coming out of the waterfall and fountain are like water shooting out of fire hydrants LOL.

So initially I had the 1.5" return split into two 3/4" branches, one goes up to the taller bounder to run down, and another is a riser inside the pond intended to be a small mushroom style fountain. But since I increased the return side to 1.5" through out until the final split, the water is just way too strong.

IMG-20240222-132023.jpg

IMG-20240222-132032.jpg

IMG-20240222-132042.jpg

IMG-20240222-132108.jpg

So I added two more 3/4" branches. One 3/4" branch runs to a hose bib, so I can use the pond water occasionally for irrigation since it will be nutrient rich.

IMG-20240222-132120.jpg

Then I added another branch upstream may be for another waterfall...but I am not done with that yet.

I have a ball valve for each branch, so I can dial each one to find a good balance and distribution. Thing is, with the hose bibb off and the other three valves all opened, it's still too strong. I worry the flow is too strong that it will end up stirring up debris at the bottom of the pond and may not be a good environment for aquatic plants.

I don't suppose there is a way to dial down the horse power of my pump is there?

Someone said that once the pump runs for a while, it will get more and more inefficient. Is this true will that help me?

Now I am questioning whether I should have gone with a VS pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to see the pictures. I know this has been a tough project for you so it is nice to see it working now. I am not aware of any way to dial down the horse power, and not so sure about that part about the pump getting inefficient, even if true probably would be negligible. I know you mentioned you had ball valves somewhere in the lines, usually people control the flow with the ball valves, the true union ball valves are easier to use. Or maybe since you replaced the 3/4 inch pipe with the 1.5" pipe maybe go down to 1" pipe in that section, but that might be too much work to do. Others here I am sure will have some ideas to help.

Ask a Question