j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found another dragonfly on the same road today that I found the other one on. Seems to be in somewhat worse shape then the last one but we'll see if he makes it or not. Had to carry him all the way home again in my hand til I got to a house being built where I found a big empty plastic bucket to put him in. Why is it when you are out walking and you need a paper cup to put something in that all of a sudden this is the day no one litters? That's what happened when I found the last one too,lol! I guess I needed to become one w/ the dragonfly!

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 282

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just call me the Dragon Lady, lol! Was practically in the same spot the other one was in on the road. Must be a pond or swamp somewhere close by where they all hang out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
On the net it says they sure don't live very long:
The adult life of the dragonfly does not last long. They live just long enough to mature and reproduce. The adult dragonfly will not live beyond several months, depending on the quality of the weather. They may live as long as six months provided the weather is dry and warm. However, in the short and sometimes cold weather, adults will not live for longer than several weeks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well even if it was at the end you are giving it a good end of life setting rather than laying on a road. You need to carry a rescue bag jw

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The poor thing did not make it. Think his little body was two crumpled up w/ hitting a car.
A rescue bag eh? Never thought of that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, we had a chilly weekend, but it was beautiful and warm and sunny during the afternoons! Yesterday I was enjoying my pond, and a red flash went flying by! I followed it and grabbed my camera. She is not near as pretty as the original "Scarlett", but she sure had the red body!
Scarlett wanna be.JPG
Then, not 5 minutes later, I found this dead dragonfly in the grass. It was so perfectly shaped.
Dead dragonfly.JPG
Water in pond was down to 55, and it's like the fish were telling me "no more feeding", as they were all staying toward the bottom. Glad my pond is so clear, that I can watch them even on the bottom, 4' down! Tonight I spotted a red/white goldfish with a black spot on one side and black tail! Sat. I spotted a 3/4" black baby. Can't believe there are still babies being hatched, or at least in the last couple of weeks! Frosted Sun. a.m., but all plants look good. 80's predicted for this week again. Indian Summer time! Love fall weather!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat Country. I can never get the ones near my pond to stay still long enough to get any photo's. Only the ones I find crashed on the road have I been able to get pix of.
You wonder how those little fry will make it through the winter. Some do tho. We may get some sun on Wednesday hopefully.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are going from the 40's back up to 78 so the fish will still be eating. It will probably be just beautiful while we are gone and snowing when we come back

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ewwwww, don't even want to think about cold weather like that when heading for Hawaii. Coming back will be a drag.........bah humbug!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are thousands and thousands flying around down here right now, literally having to remove out 12-25 a day out of the pond and swimming pool. We see them hooked up and breeding, fighting, and just flying around. Have to wear a full face shield when I get out and ride the bike or you just might get a little extra protien snack before you make it back home.

Ask a Question