Introducing fishes to new garden pond

Reaction score
I live in New England and I've got a 55' by 25' new garden pond which has a depth of 3'. The pond has a big water fountain which works 12 hours a day and this Spring and Summer we had loads of frogs and tadpoles. We also have loads of insects (boatmen, water skimmers, beetles, dragonflies etc). I tried to introduce some minnows but they are all dying one after another. I just had the water tested which is perfect with no amonia or nitrate. I am not sure why the minnows are not surviving except for the fact that maybe the water is a tad too warm for them. Anyway, I would like to add some native fishes in the pond but not sure which ones will live in harmony with frogs and tadpoles. I read that mosquito fishes are toxic to frogs. Which fishes can I add?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and sounds more like a lake than a pond .What is your ph ,kh and gh .The ph may be a problem .Not sure how warm your water is but my pond is around 4 feet deep and it gets to 80 in the water and thats before I put up the shade sail I made .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflute.gif
ccub

Reaction score
New England is kind of a big area so I'd have no idea what kind of fish would work in your pond. If you're near the coast Mosquitofish might work. Mosquitofish are not toxic to frogs...where did you hear that? Mosquitofish can eat the eggs and larva of other fish, frogs, etc., so they can be harmful to other species, but not toxic.

If you're inland from the coast I'd assume a 3' deep pond would freeze solid many years. I grew up in Upstate NY and our ground froze to 3' some years.

I would check with Fish & Game before adding any fish. Maine for example doesn't allow Koi. Fish & Game could also give you a good list of native fish that could work.

Reaction score
welcome ccub, not that it may matter but is the water fairly clear? just wondering if you'll see the fish often as you did mention a large fountain..did you get a number for ph or phosphates or kh? did you or someone else test the water? did they give you actual reading or just say everything was fine/perfect? i would also use a liquid test kit as to a litmus paper type..

Ask a Question