Iris help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Last fall I re-homed some variegated iris from my land garden to pond medium in baskets. THey do not appear to have survived, I thinkI had them too deep. Yesterday, I dug up the rest and filled 3 baskets as before only raised them a bit. Anyone have any thoughts on if this will work? While they are in the full sun they are getting soft and then once in shade are firming up.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• iris.jpg
    iris.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 264

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my iris are bare root in floating planter rings and doing great this pics a couole weeks old, theyre quite a bit bigger now...no batteries for camera.

Attachments

• SANY1049.JPG
    SANY1049.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks Koiguy. The ones from the fall I got rid of they seemed to have rotted. The bare roots in the floater, do you have stones or pond medium to hold them? DO yu leave them in the ring for the winter in the pond? I may have planted too many in one pot, not sure

Thanks for the help!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i let them float in the water the roots stay in the ice for the winter...water iris manufacture and secreet an enzyme that protects there root system from freezing...the way they are now is the way they were all winter...except they were out of the ring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
One out of all the iris in the pots now has a flower spike. Hopefully these will make it, I dug these up from the property. They have a smoothe variegated leaf which shuld make them ideal for the pond. Thanks for the tip koi guy and I just may have to redo them in floaters.

Ask a Question