Is 6" PVC the right side for centipede size ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
6" PVC the right side for centipede size ?

I basically want to make a trench on the bottom of my pond to collect all the junk and be able to pump it out into some trees or maybe into some kind of gravel containers then into a water fall leading back to the pond.

My question is how large should that pipe be in that Trench? PVC comes in 1-6" in size.

Is it basically the bigger the better?

Look at the picture below for an idea what I'm talking about.

While the picture is probably a bog filter for the big pond next to it. In my situation, My pond may be the size of their bog filter and I would want to basically do this is reverse of a bog filter. I'm looking for a way to make sure the bottom of my pond does not become dirty.

Thanks.

French Drain in pond.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What your showing is generally the setup for a wetland filter. It's job is to disburse water across the bottom of the filter and when it's time to clean the filter when your drain out the water using the snorkel it pulls out the debris along with it.
Now if I was to use it in the bottom of the pond which is a interesting idea. The problem comes in is that a 6 inch line will have next to no draw to it as that's a lot of volume to pull.
To work around that how ever if you were to seriously create a funnel to the entire bottom of the pond which is always a good idea when it comes to bottom drains anyways. Use gravity to assist in the process.
The problem I see is the debris that falls to the side of the pipe and under.
The centipede has a flat bottom so there is no rounded area for debris to collect.

I do something similar I have two bottom drains with aquablocks panels on top. This keeps the fish away from the intakes. As I have lost a couple due to getting to close with the long fins and not being able to break free. Same principal I guess but I'm drawing from two smaller areas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was also going to angle the surrounding area to gradually fall into the trench so the idea was to eventually have gravity move everything into the collection trench. Then the trench and pipe would be covered with large stones. The pipe would have drill holes in it that were too small for the rocks and stones to enter.

In a swimming pool, you usually have a bottom vent at the lowest point of the pool and the bottom of the pool is angled towards that bottom drain.

So you are saying I should do the opposite and have a smaller pipe to have more suction force?

Should I have a trench leading to a clean out area with a pump without a pipe?

Alternatively, I could also just angling everything into the low point in my pond without a trench?

I am not committed to any one method or style. Right now I just have a big hole in the ground without water.

Also, what do most people do in order to keep the bottom of their pond relatively clean?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, what do most people do in order to keep the bottom of their pond relatively clean?
A. Good water movement (ie., created by the waterfall or adding jets)
B. Don't worry about it - it's a pond, not a pool.

The "junk" that gets into your pond that you're concerned about will be far too big to be drawn into the centipede. Leaves, organic debris, etc. That all needs to be scooped out. The small stuff (mainly fish waste) will be consumed by the biological filtration - you'll never see it. Add a shallow layer of gravel to the bottom of your pond and let nature do her thing.

I think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A. Good water movement (ie., created by the waterfall or adding jets)
B. Don't worry about it - it's a pond, not a pool.

The "junk" that gets into your pond that you're concerned about will be far too big to be drawn into the centipede. Leaves, organic debris, etc. That all needs to be scooped out. The small stuff (mainly fish waste) will be consumed by the biological filtration - you'll never see it. Add a shallow layer of gravel to the bottom of your pond and let nature do her thing.

I think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I have an planted aquarium which is maybe like a pond on a much smaller scale. The same biological filtration/nitrogen cycle takes place.

I have tried both not changing the water for a while or just changing the water without the gravel vac. Both did not turn out well. The only thing that got my fish tank clean was using the gravel vacuum and removing a ton of dirty water and stuff from under the gravel.

I am wondering why the same would not be an issue for a pond unless maybe you have underwater jets and a ton of filtration from the surface water using like an intake bay? I was also planning on having an intake bay for a majority of water for the water fall.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like to comment on the size of the holes you drill. I cut slits in mine, not holes (but people do use holes). If you go too small with the the holes, gunk and small stones will clog the holes. Less likely to happen with slits. Also, consider having the holes/slits facing downward. There’s no way to keep the bottom of the pond completely clean. If you scoop/skim debris off the surface, it will help. Netting can help with leaves. Some use a pond vac periodically, but if you keep the surface skimmed, less debris will fall to the bottom. Trim dead leaves from pond plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to comment on the size of the holes you drill. I cut slits in mine, not holes (but people do use holes). If you go too small with the the holes, gunk and small stones will clog the holes. Less likely to happen with slits. Also, consider having the holes/slits facing downward. There’s no way to keep the bottom of the pond completely clean. If you scoop/skim debris off the surface, it will help. Netting can help with leaves. Some use a pond vac periodically, but if you keep the surface skimmed, less debris will fall to the bottom. Trim dead leaves from pond plants.

What type of setup are you using these PVC pipe with slits? Do you have like a trench with a PVC pipe French drain style on the bottom of your Pond or are you talking about a bog filter output?

What type of tool did you use to make the slits? I know how to make holes with a drill but those slits look more difficult.

I noticed slits in PVC in certain water wells setups.

I was thinking of maybe a powered oscillating tools might be able to made these slits.

So basically space out large slits and have them facing down in the trench without any holes or slits on the sides or top correct?
2836-20_1.webp

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Power-Tools-Power-Multi-Tools-Oscillating-Tools/N-5yc1vZc2b2

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@miogpsrocks My bog was a specialized set up as it was inside my box turtle habitat — and it needed segregated sides. I used the much simpler method of placing a PVC manifold at the bottom of my “pit,” then filled this with pea gravel. There was an intake, an outflow, and 2 clean-out pipes. Maybe these pictures will help. I used my circular saw to cut the slits at regular intervals. Don’t live in this house anymore. Next bog will be with Aquablox and Centipede system (I hope).

IMG_3649.jpegIMG_7285.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am wondering why the same would not be an issue for a pond unless maybe you have underwater jets and a ton of filtration from the surface water using like an intake bay?

Simple answer - the sheer size difference. If you had a scalable version of a pond in an aquarium - ie., same volume of water, same bio load, etc - the process would work the same.

We don't have underwater jets - although that would help, too - but the water from the waterfall flowing to the negative edge (or skimmer if you have one) creates a current that keeps things moving. Most debris never makes it to the bottom. But some does and in that case, fish stir things up, we move things around when we scoop with a net or with our feet when we get in and wade around... all of it keeps things moving and breaking down. It's never pristine, but it's also never dirty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you are saying I should do the opposite and have a smaller pipe to have more suction force? All i am saying is what i see your idea's potential draw backs the way i see it. doesn't mean it will or will not work but what the potential risks or outcome may be. i see a benifit in your idea but for it to work i see a very narrow bottom at leas at the drains and the walls pitched right to it like a pool yes. but unlike a pool gravel can be a benifit on the bootm but it is a pond it is not a pool but the cleanest effect is no rock like a designated koi pond

Should I have a trench leading to a clean out area with a pump without a pipe? ? meaning no snorkel ??

Alternatively, I could also just angling everything into the low point in my pond without a trench? that's what most do how much of a pitch and how small the deepest point is the variable and how well it will work but circulation can add a lot to the equation as well

I am not committed to any one method or style. Right now I just have a big hole in the ground without water. That should be the next step not having any idea how large or small a pond your working with will have a huge difference in what we might recommend

Also, what do most people do in order to keep the bottom of their pond relatively clean? pond vacuum for myself

Last edited:

Ask a Question