Is bigger better?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi again. I was all set to have an 8x11ft pond built in late March for our turtle but after looking at all of your huge beautiful ponds and watching too many you tube videos I'm wondering if I should go a bit bigger. The largest I think would be okay on our quarter acre lot is 10x14ft. Do you all think I should go for it now or stick to the original plan and expand later if I still have desire to? Would it be tremendously difficult to make it larger later on by ourselves? Presently we're working with a contractor who will use a Biofalls filter and bay intake rather than a skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi again. I was all set to have an 8x11ft pond built in late March for our turtle but after looking at all of your huge beautiful ponds and watching too many you tube videos I'm wondering if I should go a bit bigger. The largest I think would be okay on our quarter acre lot is 10x14ft. Do you all think I should go for it now or stick to the original plan and expand later if I still have desire to? Would it be tremendously difficult to make it larger later on by ourselves? Presently we're working with a contractor who will use a Biofalls filter and bay intake rather than a skimmer.
one word; LPS!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh, no, TOTALLY the opposite; LARGER POND SYNDROME. It comes from the fact almost EVERYONE who builds a pond will re-build larger in the very near future, sometimes the disease takes multiple times to cure, so beware!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh, no, TOTALLY the opposite; LARGER POND SYNDROME. It comes from the fact almost EVERYONE who builds a pond will re-build larger in the very near future, sometimes the disease takes multiple times to cure, so beware!
:ROFLMAO: Oh I can absolutely see that happening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
one word; LPS!!!!
and in direct answer; it won't be any fun at all trying to expand yourselves; trust me; ask me how I know! Rewarding, yes; fun? no!

If you want 4000 gallons, just immediately make it 8 and don't blink. You'll thank us later! ;):p:cool:

And since you're having a contractor, SERIOUSLY consider joining the BFC (okay, I'll let you in on this one early; bog filter club!). The benefits are like LPS cure; it only makes you feel better! Not to mention your pond will thank you! And there's a BFC official membership card that's all shiny and sparkly fer ya! Get with @poconojoe for this as HE'S the Prez!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and in direct answer; it won't be any fun at all trying to expand yourselves; trust me; ask me how I know! Rewarding, yes; fun? no!

If you want 4000 gallons, just immediately make it 8 and don't blink. You'll thank us later! ;):p:cool:

And since you're having a contractor, SERIOUSLY consider joining the BFC (okay, I'll let you in on this one early; bog filter club!). The benefits are like LPS cure; it only makes you feel better! Not to mention your pond will thank you! And there's a BFC official membership card that's all shiny and sparkly fer ya! Get with @poconojoe for this as HE'S the Prez!
I was all set on doing a bog filter until the contractor said it would be $4,500 extra. That just seems way too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was all set on doing a bog filter until the contractor said it would be $4,500 extra. That just seems way too much.
I can understand that sort of hesitancy. Just for comparison, my whole pond, v1 and the expansion (LPS) 8 years later, cost 4K total, including bog v1 and v2.

I'd have them dig the hole and include the liner. See what THAT costs, then hire some kids to haul some pea gravel to fill. You may have to do some of the plumbing pre-work, if you're able. If not, give the design to the more entrepreneur-istic of the kids to put it all together (with your supervision) and voila! you gots yerself a bog filter! Could even put it in later with same inexpensive work force as for a basic bog, you only need to dig down a foot and using the diggings, make the embankment surrounding the bog 6" higher. Buy a liner, install, put in your pipes/plumbing, pea gravel, plants, and you're good. Lots of info and peeps here that will guide you should you have questions IF YOU WANT TO GO THIS WAY!

We be a full service forum, dontcha know! (working on my third pay hike here, so give addy1 a nudge!!)

:cool::p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the input. I definitely don't want to regret not going bigger.
I'm happy wid my widdle pond on it's 1st anniversary, widdle fish seem happy enough at present.
The balance could shift if and when its inhabitants get large for it , but I think they'll cope, n when I wanna go large I usually take my fishing gear and seat along with me heh heh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My bog is 14 feet X 5 feet and has 12 inches of gravel.
I built it myself, so there was no labor cost.

If I recall correctly, all the materials cost me around $300. I already had a Tetra DHP-3600 pump which was $130.

$140 for HDRPE liner.
$90 for gravel.
And the remainder for PVC pipe, fittings and flex PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is 14 feet X 5 feet and has 12 inches of gravel.
I built it myself, so there was no labor cost.

If I recall correctly, all the materials cost me around $300. I already had a Tetra DHP-3600 pump which was $130.

$140 for HDRPE liner.
$90 for gravel.
And the remainder for PVC pipe, fittings and flex PVC.
Wow, that's amazing! I think I'll plan on adding a bog later on myself without the contractor's crazy price after I have time to research more. I'm sure I'll be asking everyone here for advice haha.

Ask a Question