j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow, that's amazing! I think I'll plan on adding a bog later on myself without the contractor's crazy price after I have time to research more. I'm sure I'll be asking everyone here for advice haha.
The boggers here can really help you w/all the info you need to do it yourself. Just take your time and go step by step and it will be easy for you and you will be so happy you did it all and your water will be crystal clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow, that's amazing! I think I'll plan on adding a bog later on myself without the contractor's crazy price after I have time to research more. I'm sure I'll be asking everyone here for advice haha.
Check out my bog build. It may give you some ideas:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bog is 14 feet X 5 feet and has 12 inches of gravel.
I built it myself, so there was no labor cost.

If I recall correctly, all the materials cost me around $300. I already had a Tetra DHP-3600 pump which was $130.

$140 for HDRPE liner.
$90 for gravel.
And the remainder for PVC pipe, fittings and flex PVC.
Deep bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check out my bog build. It may give you some ideas:

I just read through the thread. Super informative and makes the idea of building a bog myself much less intimidating. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now hold on a second. @poconojoe built the peastone bog while there are many here who have them and they work great for them your builder maybe quoting you an aquablock bog i have 2 grand in blocks alone in my bog that is not the average but is narrow. What i'm trying to say is he maybe quoting you a mercedes poconojoe is talking a chevy you maybe able to get that price reduced. he maybe also looking at boulders in and around the bog so that all adds up and the final appearance can be of a hug benefit and differance. @Lisak1 IS VERY KNOLEDGABLE PONDER WHO JUST HAD HER POND REWORKED by a pro and she' has no regrets from what i have seen. can a bog be built for less than 4 grand heck yeah can i spend that and not even get a shovel in the ground... yes! But the biofalls equals maintenance BOG is like gardening rip out what has over grown and what has sesonaly died off... mY VOTE IS FOR THE BOG

As top the larger pond absolutely. it is actually easier to have success with a larger pond then it is a smaller. So long as you don't go to big and complex. I have been on this site going on five years now and have seen only one person diss the bog the whole natural pond. And they say the average is three ponds big bigger biggest . i said ok im going for it and did biggest and not regret

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I built mine, had no knowledge of aquablocks, snorkles and the fancy bog stuff they now can have.

Mine is pvc, pea gravel, plants and water. Been running for over 10 years without any issues. Keeps the multiple ponds water in perfect shape.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a DIY pond with a bog - built it when nearly every pond pro told us it was a big mistake. Have never regretted it. Ours is 4x6 and 4 feet deep. Centipede, snorkel and lots of rocks and gravel. And simple answer is yes - bigger is always better. Build the biggest you can fit and afford - not once have we heard anyone say "I wish I had built a smaller pond".

Like @GBBUDD mentioned, we did have a pro come in last season and re-work the waterfall - had some issues with construction that eventually caught up to us and lead to some water being diverted out of the pond. We loved what they did so much to fix that issue that we had them come back and rebuild the rest of the waterfall and it's amazing.

One thing we did find is that, while we had great biological filtration with the bog, and great mechanical filtration for the large debris with the negative edge, the fine, floating debris eventually got to be more than what we wanted to see. We used a box filter as a supplement and found that to be very helpful, but not aesthetically pleasing to have sitting next to the pond. So when they were re-working our waterfall we had them add a Biofalls for the fine filtration. It's been a brilliant solution. So I guess the moral of the story is a pond doesn't have to be bog OR Biofalls - there's room and purpose for both on a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your insight @Lisak1. As an aside, your pond is gorgeous and very natural looking- exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks! It truly is a sanctuary and a refuge. Many many hours spent noodling around the pond, sitting in my bench, staring at the glistening water, listening to my waterfall, waiting for the dragonflies and birds and frogs - no better place on earth than next to my pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks! It truly is a sanctuary and a refuge. Many many hours spent noodling around the pond, sitting in my bench, staring at the glistening water, listening to my waterfall, waiting for the dragonflies and birds and frogs - no better place on earth than next to my pond!
I wish I could see your froggy but unless you fix it no one can see it alas.

I can't wait till the nice weather comes back and I can see the frogs in my new wildlife pond again
1643940209751.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your insight @Lisak1. As an aside, your pond is gorgeous and very natural looking- exactly what I'm hoping to achieve with mine.
ONE OTHER MUST HAVE IS LIGHTS. DURING THE DAY IS SO PEACEFUL SITTING AT THE POND .....BUT AT NIGHT IT IS MAGICAL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
ONE OTHER MUST HAVE IS LIGHTS. DURING THE DAY IS SO PEACEFUL SITTING AT THE POND .....BUT AT NIGHT IT IS MAGICAL

So true... until "M" season starts. Shhhh - I can't say the word out loud, but you all know the BUZZING BITING BLOODSUCKING BOOGERS I'm referring to. We have about a month in the spring before we have to avoid the outdoors after dusk. The hours between 7PM and 9PM are the BITING ZONE!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh those charming little buggers. My neighbor still swears we have 1000 times more now that i built the pond and i keep telling him you will never get MOSQUITOS IN MOVING WATER he refuses to believe it. not that the pond across the street could have anything to do with it as it is a real deal pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So true... until "M" season starts. Shhhh - I can't say the word out loud, but you all know the BUZZING BITING BLOODSUCKING BOOGERS I'm referring to. We have about a month in the spring before we have to avoid the outdoors after dusk. The hours between 7PM and 9PM are the BITING ZONE!
M word? Buzzing? Bloodsucking Boogers? What's that? You KNOW I got a solution fer dat!

let's ride, padner!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
M word? Buzzing? Bloodsucking Boogers? What's that? You KNOW I got a solution fer dat!

let's ride, padner!
We hardly ever have the bloodsuckers boogers, too many bloodsucker booger eaters................... go a street over and you get attacked, in our yard hardly ever, they are a snack for all the hungry booger eaters.

Ask a Question