is it better to sometimes be alone ?

Reaction score
you know when you get a puppy, you are supposed to get one that is boisterous in the litter not a loner etc, I wonder if it applies to fish?
For those who have read my previous posts, we started with 6 fish, all went well.
We bought more, all wasnt well and one new one original died with dropsy, one had to be taken back as it swam upside down and another new orf died, dont know why.

We replaced the fish we took back with a handsome goldfish. He was with one tiny fish in a long trough divided into 3 sections by a net but all the other fish could get through if they tried.
We picked this one as it looked gorgeous, glowing orange with bright white tail and fins but it was in a section on its own with a fish much smaller, following it around. There was a shoal the same size moving about between the various compartments with stragglers going mad to get back to the group.

Anyway, when we brought them home, the others bullied it and it even got washed up on the rock edges.
So we moved it to my wildlife pond where although it is still quiet and shy, it swims about and comes up to feed.

We tried to put him back with the others yesterday but hubby put him back on his own in the small pool again this morning as he/she was being chased.

He is back on his own and he seems happy but do fish prefer to be in groups? The small pond is too small to buy another fish to join him so we are moving him at the weekend to my mams pond. (netted against the otter, fingers crossed it works) and they will let him settle then get him a friend.

But, did we make a mistake to buy him, given that he hadnt kept up with the shoal at the garden centre? can you get fish who simply are shy all their lives yet absolutely healthy?

And how long should you leave fish to be accepted by the others before its cruel?
This one eventually (a day) played dead on the surface when put in with other fish, though he is okay now when back on his own. arggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
you know when you get a puppy, you are supposed to get one that is boisterous in the litter not a loner etc, I wonder if it applies to fish?
For those who have read my previous posts, we started with 6 fish, all went well.
We bought more, all wasnt well and one new one original died with dropsy, one had to be taken back as it swam upside down and another new orf died, dont know why.

We replaced the fish we took back with a handsome goldfish. He was with one tiny fish in a long trough divided into 3 sections by a net but all the other fish could get through if they tried.
We picked this one as it looked gorgeous, glowing orange with bright white tail and fins but it was in a section on its own with a fish much smaller, following it around. There was a shoal the same size moving about between the various compartments with stragglers going mad to get back to the group.

Anyway, when we brought them home, the others bullied it and it even got washed up on the rock edges.
So we moved it to my wildlife pond where although it is still quiet and shy, it swims about and comes up to feed.

We tried to put him back with the others yesterday but hubby put him back on his own in the small pool again this morning as he/she was being chased.

He is back on his own and he seems happy but do fish prefer to be in groups? The small pond is too small to buy another fish to join him so we are moving him at the weekend to my mams pond. (netted against the otter, fingers crossed it works) and they will let him settle then get him a friend.

But, did we make a mistake to buy him, given that he hadnt kept up with the shoal at the garden centre? can you get fish who simply are shy all their lives yet absolutely healthy?

And how long should you leave fish to be accepted by the others before its cruel?
This one eventually (a day) played dead on the surface when put in with other fish, though he is okay now when back on his own. arggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Similar fish should acclimate to each other in a day or 2. Give them a few days unless the others are killing it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Similar fish should acclimate to each other in a day or 2. Give them a few days unless the others are killing it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sometimes it is way better to be alone..........lol
my lil yorkie does not like any other dog, she wants to be the only.
If you don't mind the fish being alone, leave it in the pond by itself, if you want it to be in the group work on introducing it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sometimes it is way better to be alone..........lol
my lil yorkie does not like any other dog, she wants to be the only.
If you don't mind the fish being alone, leave it in the pond by itself, if you want it to be in the group work on introducing it.

Reaction score
We are going to send him to my mams pond which is bigger and after a while they will get him a friend, probably smaller than him/her as he seems quite passive.

I understand a little about the dynamics of dogs (I love the dog whisperer for helping me to understand that dogs are dogs not humans and that we have to know this to make them happy)..
I just dont know the ways of fish yet and how their pecking orders are.
I posted about how do fish know each other and got jokey replies but I meant it. I wonder if they rely on sight or smell.... one thing for sure, they recognise a new comer.

Reaction score
We are going to send him to my mams pond which is bigger and after a while they will get him a friend, probably smaller than him/her as he seems quite passive.

I understand a little about the dynamics of dogs (I love the dog whisperer for helping me to understand that dogs are dogs not humans and that we have to know this to make them happy)..
I just dont know the ways of fish yet and how their pecking orders are.
I posted about how do fish know each other and got jokey replies but I meant it. I wonder if they rely on sight or smell.... one thing for sure, they recognise a new comer.

Reaction score
I have one loner fish and I still wonder and worry about him but, he looks and acts just fine but, he doesn't feed with the other fish and he always just hangs out under the waterfall. He's been like this for the last two months and I'm curious if some are just shy. All my other fish stick with each other in a big group.

Reaction score
I have one loner fish and I still wonder and worry about him but, he looks and acts just fine but, he doesn't feed with the other fish and he always just hangs out under the waterfall. He's been like this for the last two months and I'm curious if some are just shy. All my other fish stick with each other in a big group.

Ask a Question