Need better mech. filtration -- will this idea work?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I need better mechanical filtration -- it might be purely cosmetic, but despite being CLEAR, my water never looks CLEAN.

I have a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank "Skippy" filter. My pond is roughly 3000 gals and I only have goldfish. I have about 30 or so fish, most in the 3" range. In the 4 years I've had the pond, I've had good bio-filtration as evidenced by non-existent levels of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. I have some plants, but not enough to make a difference.

But [and I've had previous threads on this] the mechanical filtration -- Skippy -- is the pits. I have a 3600 gph solids handling pump [which also goes to a small bog]. The pump is cranked down pretty low on each. I used to have the pump in a DIY pre-filter, but I couldn't tell it made a difference in water clarity, so I went back to using the mesh bag around the pump [much less messy].

So, since Skippy isn't the best as a 2-in-1 filter...... Would this work? Keep the plumbing to the skippy the same, except instead of having it flow directly back into the pond, have it flow into a down-flow barrel or tote. The barrel would take over as bio-filter. The Skippy would become primary, external mechanical filter. My filter media is 90% Matala, which I love, and which would work in both systems.
image.jpeg
Maybe not the bestest [:rolleyes:] set-up in the world, but seems a simple conversion.

And no, a BD is not an option. I'm stuck with what I have.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any mechanical filtration should be prior to biofiltration not after. Have you thought about utilizing a 'settling tank'?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Isn't the Skippy used as bio?

So, since Skippy isn't the best as a 2-in-1 filter...... Would this work? Keep the plumbing to the skippy the same, except instead of having it flow directly back into the pond, have it flow into a down-flow barrel or tote. The barrel would take over as bio-filter. The Skippy would become primary, external mechanical filter. My filter media is 90% Matala, which I love, and which would work in both systems.

Maybe not the bestest [:rolleyes:] set-up in the world, but seems a simple conversion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Nice idea ,i read more the filteration and media better it is, is always plus point. One thing , the bio media needs to b submerged 24 hour to keep bacteria alive , if u ever stop pump , the outlet will drain all water out of barrel
why not take the outlet pipe of skipy till the bottom of the bio barrel then outlet on top again?
or leave it same way just hv outlet at top in barrel and prolong its pipe till bottom ,hv some hole at top of pipe to prevent syphen
do hv cleaning valves aat bottom of both

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan :watching:

@Usman Still working out details & logistics. The last time I had to move filters around [to accommodate a re-build], I first rinsed all the biomedia in clean pond water. Then I put it all in several mesh bags and into the pond. That was quick & easy for the short period of "down" time. And the fish had a blast exploring and picking at everything, LOL!

Thanks to both for your input!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't see anywhere in this thread about a UV light in the filtration system. I wouldn't have a pond with out one. Not only does it kill parasites but it helps keeps the water clean...Also you may want to add some type carbon to it to help polish the water...I have a carbon pad in my Bakki Shower and I'm sure it helps...Just my 2 pennies...Good luck though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't see anywhere in this thread about a UV light in the filtration system. I wouldn't have a pond with out one. Not only does it kill parasites but it helps keeps the water clean...Also you may want to add some type carbon to it to help polish the water...I have a carbon pad in my Bakki Shower and I'm sure it helps...Just my 2 pennies...Good luck though.
Nope, just a plain old garden pond with goldfish. No UV (which I thought only worked against suspended algae). I only add carbon when/if I need to remove tannins. But I appreciate your 2 cents -- thanks!

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the water. It's not clear like drinking water but I can see 4 feet down. Since this isn't a swimming pool it's clear enough for me. However I see your point. It depends on your situation whether or not a settling tank would work. The water has to be pumped at a certain speed. If it can't escape from the settling tank fast enough and in enough volume then it will run over before it can get to the skippy filter. This is a problem if you are depending on gravity to empty the tank. I would do it just the opposite as your drawing shows with the skippy bio being first and the mechanical being second going into the pond. If the mechanical is doing it's job then it would take out the crud on the first pass and after that there would be very little left to get into the bio filter. What did go into the bio could be filtered out with the matala on the bottom. This would be a double mechanical filtration system.

Ask a Question