Which is better aerator, waterfall or fountain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
New-to-me 800+ gal. pond has an old but powerful Little Giant pump driving a fairly tall concrete waterfall.

I am contemplating getting a pump with better efficiency, and then I came to wonder if a fountain would or would not be better at aerating than the waterfall.

Pond has minimal goldfish load (but changing!), large plants, frogs.

So... waterfall versus fountain, for aeration/efficiency/fish enjoyment?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think a waterfall is better because it also provides extra surface area for a biofilm to develop.
Make sure you try and include as much water circulation as possible - place the pump at the opposite end of the pond from where the waterfall is.

Reaction score
I have 3 small waterfalls. When I have them off for cleaning etc. water loss is minimum. Will it be ok if I turn off the falls at night and just use the aerator? No Koi just some goldfish I don't feed and I think there's a frog in there too. Also the same pump sends water to the filter.
Thanks

Ad

Advertisements

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If your pump runs your filter then turning it off overnight isn't good. The bacteria in the filter starts to die off.

Ask a Question