sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't wait for fall and some slightly cooler weather but would rather just have some rain any rain all rain welcome here .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my pond is in full sun all day every day. other than warmer than usual water temps i havent seen any detriment to the pond...no green water, no string alge to speak of, crystal clear water. plants all doing well. fish have remained active altho slightly less than the norm. but we are getting a reprieve from the heat today and the next few days. weve gotten some decent rain over the last day or 2 and the grass is geen not "crunchy" as addy says any more...its been golden brown for 2 weeks. they imposed watering restrictions here ... and even then the hours are 11:00 pm til 5:00 am which is fine if youve got a sprinkler system..but we dont.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 acres and not sprinkler system and I'm on a well so don't want it to go dry .I have a hose and a watering schedule and grass is not on it plants get watered every 3 days and I walk around with hoses trying to put water on each plants root area

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing that gets watered are my plants grass is on its own

The pond is actually in great shape, no shade except the pond plants, no excess algae and sitting around 80-85 right now.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are breaking records here in Texas. Right now we are at the second longest streak of over 100 degrees. We should beat the record of 43 days in a row next week. We also set several new records for the highest low temp. 86 degrees. Surprisingly my pond is still at 84 degrees. I have three shade triangles over the pond and the pond sits between my two story house and a fence. Don't get me wrong, it still is brutally hot out there!

I have a question regarding some recent changes and I don't know if it is heat related. In July I had a ton of string algae in my pond. I removed it every couple of days just to keep up with it. I put it around some shrubs and plants and they really took off!! I also added some hyacinths with my parrot feather and they looked great at the same time the string algae was going gang busters. Now the string algae is pretty much gone, the hyacinth is turning yellow and brown and the parrot feather is not looking as good. Is this heat related or do to water parameters changing? A side note - we went to Seattle for two weeks in July and my pond sitter fed the koi WAYYYYYYY too much food while we were gone. Skimmer box was full of a hundred or more pellets. Maybe I don't feed them enough??

Thanks

I am sure you feed them enough...........did you check your water levels i.e. test it? with that much excess food floating around your water might be in trouble.

Reaction score
I am sure you feed them enough...........did you check your water levels i.e. test it? with that much excess food floating around your water might be in trouble.
I'm sure I do. On a side note, I was surprised at the growth of the fish in two weeks!

I didn't perform any water tests. I just scooped out all the string algae I could, cleaned the filters in the skimmer, and performed a 10% water change.

Reaction score
Bigwake: I’m a hundred miles (+ or -)north of you – same conditions. Perhaps the nutrients in your water are low - a good thing. Pull some of your hyacinths out and put them in a tub of fertilized water and see what happens. A lot of my plants, both water and otherwise are just burning up in the sun and heat. :redface:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am loosing more than 2 inches sometimes up to 4 inches a day from the 2 waterfalls at least I hope thats what it is from .This is a new liner

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am loosing more than 2 inches sometimes up to 4 inches a day from the 2 waterfalls at least I hope thats what it is from .This is a new liner

Sissy that seems like a lot, I am losing about 1/2" everyday and that is with waterfall and two other creeks. I had a small leak a few weeks ago b/c I was messing with my creek. Just can't leave good enough alone...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I thought so to but took everything apart and can not find any leaks and where my filters are there is liner around them that directs the water back in the pond on both of them .I found one drip on a loose hose but the drip when I timed it with the stop watch could not have been it .It only dripped every 15 minutes and I put a new hose connector on it so that was solved .I always mess with my pond to the same as you tmann ,can't leave well enough alone .I looked at all the hoses and looked at the liner at each waterfall and this is a new liner and cannot find any wet areas around the pond . Three Spitters and nothing there I could find .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My pond has been hard since November 30th.

And to bust an American myth, Canadians don't like Winter. We generally go to Mexico...........

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond has been hard since November 30th.

And to bust an American myth, Canadians don't like Winter. We generally go to Mexico...........

or down here in florida, a ton of Canadians have bought seasonal homes here.

Ask a Question