j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only snakes we have here are garter snakes and never see any of them either. Would like to have some tho as they keep the bugs down.
Today was beautiful here. I think maybe cloudy tomorrow for my hike up to my friends son's gold mining spot on the river. Never been up there but I hear it's quite the fete getting there at some points of the trail. Have to hang a rope down over the edge and swing back and forth to get to the bottom. I think I'm gonna have a sore butt when this is over or worse :kruecken:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we need rain here also we had a little rain the other day but the grounds hard and it just ran off to never never land ,But can't complain since other states are worse off

Reaction score
It was untill I put one of these up .

Attachments

• 61qIyLlDE-L.jpg
    61qIyLlDE-L.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 257

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only snakes we have here are garter snakes and never see any of them either. Would like to have some tho as they keep the bugs down.
Today was beautiful here. I think maybe cloudy tomorrow for my hike up to my friends son's gold mining spot on the river. Never been up there but I hear it's quite the fete getting there at some points of the trail. Have to hang a rope down over the edge and swing back and forth to get to the bottom. I think I'm gonna have a sore butt when this is over or worse :kruecken:

wow jw swinging on a rope! be careful. I used to do research in arizona, had to climb up chimneys to get to the top of plateaus. I do not like heights, did not like climbing those chimneys, feet on one side, butt on other side wiggling up!

Take some good pictures for us!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rained today so not going. If I ever do get to go I will bring my camera..........darn weather!

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
62° and pouring here. If this keeps up the pond will overflow. But it's making for nice tilling of the soil in areas we are going to cover with pavers.

Speaking of pavers, Lowes is closing out some of the old castle pavers for a new color. We have scored quite a few so far at two different stores. Got about 450 6" sq. pavers for .44 ea. I believe the new price is .78 ea.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You seem to have somewhat the same weather we have here pinon. Every time it's raining here it seems to be raining there.
Great find on the pavers!

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Hi J.W.! I see you're wet, too. Sorry it ruined your plans. It sounds like a fun hike, but that swinging part makes me think you might need a helmut. :helm2:

We get these thunderstorms every summer. I usually love them but today is quite a bit cooler than usual. I do see some sun peeking through so there is hope yet that I won't just watch Angel and Cubs baseball all day. :LOL:

This rain is supposedly soaking the southland so maybe Dr.Dave is getting some, too.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We had a downpour last night, had the window open and loved to hear it. A few sprinkles at about 7 this morning, sunny and nice now,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It stopped raining here now. We haven't had to water our grass or very few plants this summer at all. Everything is green and growing great now. Love the sound of rain at night. Love the smell of it on cement also.
They might go on the hike tomorrow but I have to help hubby w/ wood chipping and hauling more wood to cut for firewood this week so I'm gonna have to wait for another time to go I'm afraid............bummer cuz it's supposed to be nice all week now.

Reaction score
About two months of daily temps of near or above 100 degrees. My pond water is cooler than our city water. Most of our flowers have long since burned up – not dried, burned. Even the water plants, hyacinth, pennywort, etc., have taken a beating :ugh: . Fish are up and active early morning and late evening, stay on the bottom during the heat of the day.
I have a 90% shade clothe over the pond that makes a huge difference. :highfive:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a shade cloth I put up every year you need them when the sun is on your pond most of the day .None of my trees have gotten big enough for much shade .I hate developers who clear every darn tree off the lots

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
About two months of daily temps of near or above 100 degrees. My pond water is cooler than our city water. Most of our flowers have long since burned up – not dried, burned. Even the water plants, hyacinth, pennywort, etc., have taken a beating :ugh: . Fish are up and active early morning and late evening, stay on the bottom during the heat of the day.
I have a 90% shade clothe over the pond that makes a huge difference. :highfive:

My water hyacinths are starting to look sun scorched also, I've never seen that before. I finally started using my shade net more for the last week now and they are looking a little better. My fish are doing the same, slow all day except early morning and late evening. I'll be glad when it starts to cool off a little.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We need rain badly, grass is crunchy again. But my big pond hyacinths are now blooming, dark green out in full sun looking great. They must love this sucky hot weather.

Reaction score
We are breaking records here in Texas. Right now we are at the second longest streak of over 100 degrees. We should beat the record of 43 days in a row next week. We also set several new records for the highest low temp. 86 degrees. Surprisingly my pond is still at 84 degrees. I have three shade triangles over the pond and the pond sits between my two story house and a fence. Don't get me wrong, it still is brutally hot out there!

I have a question regarding some recent changes and I don't know if it is heat related. In July I had a ton of string algae in my pond. I removed it every couple of days just to keep up with it. I put it around some shrubs and plants and they really took off!! I also added some hyacinths with my parrot feather and they looked great at the same time the string algae was going gang busters. Now the string algae is pretty much gone, the hyacinth is turning yellow and brown and the parrot feather is not looking as good. Is this heat related or do to water parameters changing? A side note - we went to Seattle for two weeks in July and my pond sitter fed the koi WAYYYYYYY too much food while we were gone. Skimmer box was full of a hundred or more pellets. Maybe I don't feed them enough??

Thanks

Ask a Question