Is the hot weather affecting your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dang, JW, we would all love some of your 60's! I'm embarrassed to say I do not have a thermometer in my pond yet. :-( Outside temps have been like everyone else across the country (except for WA it seems heehee) in the mid to upper 90's with 100-110 heat index. I feed the fish every morning and evening, not because they are starving, but because I like to. I feed very small amounts at a time, so it lasts longer. LOL All fish are feeding, except the smaller goldies, who nibble on the algae. I have not noticed any string algae, only the spongy kind that seems to be floating up from the bottom or sides. It goes into the skimmer and every morning pond top is clear. Hyacinths still are not doing very well, living, just not blooming much or reproducing. Lillies are blooming, at least the ones in the pond for over a month are. Other plants I got from JW and Addy are doing very well. My pond only has maybe 1/5 coverage so far, but the ludwigia is helping a lot, as it has tons of roots, and they gather the spongy algae, making for more coverage in the evenings. Water is clear and I can see to the bottom, even when I'm not feeding fish seem to be swimming around but closer to the bottom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would love to have some of your warmth although things are perking up a bit here w/ the sunshine. My pond water is still coolish and I don't think the water lettuce is enjoying it much. It's more yellow than it was but it is multiplying. I had it in the plant ring but thought it might do better in the pond so took some out to see how it does. I noticed tho right off the fish are a bit too interested in it.............wonder if they are going to eat all the roots? Country the plants you and addy sent me are doing wonderful.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Water lettuce doesn't do well here, either. I think it's just too cool. We dropped from 84 yesterday to 76 today. I just finished closing most of the windows and put on some short socks. It's not as bad as last summer when we didn't heat up until late August but I doubt I'll have red tomatoes any time soon. :sad:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Water lettuce doesn't do well here, either. I think it's just too cool. We dropped from 84 yesterday to 76 today. I just finished closing most of the windows and put on some short socks. It's not as bad as last summer when we didn't heat up until late August but I doubt I'll have red tomatoes any time soon. :sad:

Wow and your in Cali. where I thought the sun always shined. Guess you are in a cooler part. Where is PInon Hills located? Your temps aren't much better than ours. I'm hoping August will be nice and maybe even September. Just wish the winters would go back to being not so cold. Last 2 killed some of my plants I've had for years.

Reaction score
Not much change, they really dont seem to mind it. I havent pulled any water lettuce out in the last week, so I've probably got about 95% plant coverage right now, figured it'd help the water temps if i just left it in there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are bouncing down to a nice 80 today back up to 90 plus with heat index way over 100.................
hyacinths blooming like crazy, all other ponds plants growing growing growing

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
were still up in or near the 90s every day.. but at least we finally are geting some rain...yesterday afternoon and today. had some big rain over night. window shaking thunder and lightning that gave momentary daylight! (that may be God taking pictures with the flash on)lol.....like (almost) everybody else here, we would love a repreive for the heat! oh, and the humity.

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Wow and your in Cali. where I thought the sun always shined. Guess you are in a cooler part. Where is PInon Hills located? Your temps aren't much better than ours. I'm hoping August will be nice and maybe even September. Just wish the winters would go back to being not so cold. Last 2 killed some of my plants I've had for years.

The sun does shine most days but I'm at a high elevation, 10 minutes from Wrightwood and Mountain High sky resort, so much cooler than the high desert to the north of me or the inland valleys of SoCal to the south of me. The weather station for my small town is located about 1k lower than me and ten miles away so it's never accurate for my particular location. I've got my very own microclimate, especially since I'm on a hilltop. We get a lot of this in the winter:
pond in winter.jpg

I just received an email from a friend in Dallas. She sent a pic of their new rain gauge. :razz:
ATT3081552.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty w/ the snow up there and cute one on the Texas rain gauge. Do you ski? We used to cross country a few yrs ago, then we figured out we liked to ski in warm weather.........doesn't work that way at all tho
giggle.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and sunday and I hope there right .I just had to add water in the last week I have lost over 6 inches of water from evaporation I guess .I have no leaks that I can find and the liners new and I looked at everything for water lose .The hoses are fine and no leaks at the filters

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We hit 99 again sissy, actual temperature, these temps do suck some water esp with water falls etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have had severe thunderstorms three nights in a row now and all the rain this month broke the all time Chicago record for rainfall in July. One suburb by the airport got over 7 inches in one day last weekend. I feel like we are living in the tropics because it's either in the high 80's or 90's everyday for the last month with tons of rain the last two weeks. My fish seem happy and don't seem affected much by the weather. I keep it mostly covered with floaters so the water stays cool.

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Very pretty w/ the snow up there and cute one on the Texas rain gauge. Do you ski? We used to cross country a few yrs ago, then we figured out we liked to ski in warm weather.........doesn't work that way at all tho
giggle.gif

Lol, a little hard to ski in the summer. But there was still skiing in Mammoth in June this year. I saw a newscast showing skiers in short sleeve shirts. Loved it!

No skiing for me any more. I got tired of being cold and wet. I much prefer warmer weather activities. Except it brings out the rattlesnakes. Had a 4 footer on my deck recently. He took off before my son and his friends could relocate him. King snakes and gopher snakes are fine but no rattlers allowed around my house. :nono:

We are having thunder and lightening today. And it's humid but not St. Louis humid, TG. Getting some light rain now. Smells so delish. :razz:

Ask a Question