Is there a way to connect 1'' corrugated pipe to 3/4'' pvc

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
topofthehill1 said:
HTH on my next trip out I think I will buy some as it does seem like a more permanent solution. You know it seemed small to me too but 1'' is what comes off of the pump. I was not aware of more loss with the corrugated hose. Thanks for the help.
Water traveling through a pipe is a lot like a car going down the road. Generally you can get better fuel economy at lower speeds mostly due to reduced air drag loses.

1.0 inch pipe has a cross section of 0.79
1.5 inch pipe has a cross section of 1.78

The water in the 1.5 in pipe will be moving at less then half the speed and will let you pump deliver water closer to the rated spec of 1900gph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That makes a lot of sense and you have provided a lot of insight. I guess this was a pretty good learning experience for not too steep of a price.

I'm just posting this more as a warning to anyone else who might be using corrugated pipe outside of their pond. I wrapped a small piece of old pond liner around the pvc made a small perpendicular cut in the corrugated to get the pipe started, heated it very lightly (small propane flame), jammed them together, put my clamp on and plumbers putty. And success. Then I looked down and the corrugated had torn about 8 inches below where I was working. Its maybe two years old and had just been sitting on the bottom of my pond. It tore under the pressure of me bending the pipe to put on the pvc. This was not a lot of force or torque. I noticed some of the pipe is not very flexible at all anymore and some seems to be in ok shape. I then repeated the process for what appears to be a very temporary solution. I'm posting a bad picture of this connection. The orange clamp is just to hold it in place

I would never use this type of pipe for any length outside of a pond again. Or only for a very temporary fix.

Attachments

• IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 466

Ask a Question