Is there a way to connect 1'' corrugated pipe to 3/4'' pvc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm gearing up to rebuild my mechanical filter. And I also was looking for a place to house a few goldfish fry that would be tied into my main pond. So I thought I would split what was a small fountain into a tub that would trickle back into the main pond. However I tried heating the corrugated pipe and jam it onto the 3/4 inch pvc. however I always end up with holes in the corrugated hose. I tried what I assume was a sprinkler connector. But that was a failure also.
Thanks for any input
Travis

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Without seeing it all I can suggest is a hose barb for the corrugated pipe with the required bits to get it to mate with the 3/4.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the clamps made for corrugated pipe .A little more expensive but they work .I do spend more for stainless steel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
[SIZE=12.800000190734863px] I'm always impressed with the speed of replies on this forum. I guess I should have started with the picture. Waterbug when I read the words al [/SIZE]qaeda[SIZE=12.800000190734863px] operative in the other thread I laughed until my sides hurt. I have stainless steel ring clamps but that didn't solve the small leak. I also tried shaping the end of the pipe with a bandsaw and that leaked worse. Here is a picture of it shoved together after a light heating with a small propane torch. The line between warm and holes in the pipe is too close. They are very close in size but the corrugated pipe is slightly too small to go over the conduit. Although it looks connected it is not. I'm sure the employees in my local lowes and home depot wonder what the guy who goes to the electrical, pvc, abs, pvc2, toilet section and [/SIZE]refrigerator[SIZE=12.800000190734863px] section is doing [/SIZE]staring[SIZE=12.800000190734863px] at every adapter possible. This will be my first attempt at any filter construction that was more than just a bucket. [/SIZE]

Attachments

• IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 872
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
HTH, If that fits better I will give it a try. It was just one of those situations where what I had looked like it should work. But if that will make my life any easier I will give it a shot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know what your talking about now the drip .I used plumbers putty and then put the hose on a tightened the clamp down on the hose and putty .Let it sit for a few minutes and then started it up .

Reaction score
There are no connectors made for connecting that hose to PVC. There are connectors the manufacturer makes specifically for the hose but these are not meant to be water tight because the hose isn't meant to be used in a pressurized application.

To make it water tight you'd have to make your own using something like silicone to make your own gasket. You need one for the inside between the PVC and hose, AND you need another for the outside between the hose and hose clamp. Without the gasket on the outside the clamp will deform the ribs and the gasket inside will leak. But this also requires using a smaller diameter PVC pipe.

Alternatives...
As far as stretching the hose over the PVC, good luck. It's easier to use a smaller PVC pipe and fitting to step up.

But if your heart is set on stretching. As you found, hard to do with a torch, its too hot. Can be done. Easier to use a heat gun. Or hot oil. I don't know the temp of that plastic becoming pliable, but probably in the 220-250F range. Heat the oil to the desired temp and put the end of the hose into the oil for say 30-60 sec. It's nice to have a cone shape piece of wood you can jam into the hose to stretch it. If you shove it onto the PVC it will cool and shrink and very kind of hard to get off, and pretty much impossible to then get back on. Chance of this not leaking are pretty low.

Or use a smaller diameter PVC pipe and the step up bushings and the goop of your choice. Again, tightening down the hose clamp is going to cause problems. The hose clamp you have is meant to be used with smooth wall hose. Goop once again may come to the rescue. For example some people use silicone caulk instead of the more expensive silicone mold stuff linked above. You should Google for the different ways this is done but generally you apply the silicone caulk and let it harden and then apply the clamp. Same for the inside gasket. But getting silicone to harden isn't that easy.

DIY vs smart
I'm not sure of the goal of this project. I'm a fan of DIY. I'll spend weeks doing DIY that could have been done in 10 minutes for 5% of the cost just because I want to see how something works. Like making plastic pliable and molding it. Yeah, the first few times it takes a lot of effort, but once you get the process down it's freakin cool.

Obviously for the cost of all the trips to Home Depot you could have flown in a plumber from Montana to replace the whole deal with the correct materials.

P.S. I don't remember the "al qaeda operative". I'll have to look it up.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I solved a similar problem by chucking the pipe in my wood lathe and turning the end down slightly.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm running an in pond Tetra pump rated for 1900 GPH. I saw a larger run on clearance at lowes at the end of last season but it seemed like overkill for the size of my pond. I thought the back pressure would just force the water down the other line in its current configuration but thats not happening as much as I thought. It might be the length of my other pipe run. I saw a larger pump on clearance at lowes at the end of last season but it seemed like overkill for the size of my pond.

Can I buy spa flex by the foot??? And Where? I don't need the fifty feet of it.

If I had a lathe I would give it a try. The bandsaw actually sort of, kind of, worked but too many angles.

I'm leaning towards giving one finale try to using some left over pond liner as a gasket and some plumbers putty.

Most people can stop reading here. Below is the goal of my project.

Like so many people DIY was mostly a budget decision. I really don't need all of this knowledge but I just could not see paying the prices I was seeing for a plastic bucket. My main goal was just to reduce the amount of time it was taking for general maintenance. I also don't really like rebuilding things once I build them. I also see a lot of people pay people and still not really get what they want. I am one of those people who might pay if it was reasonable. When I began DIY digging the pond and ran into some 9'' tree roots from a no longer present tree I had to give it up and call over the neighbors landscapers to finish the job.

Well I have about 20 years experience with aquariums I have pretty limited experience with ponds. Actually I'm frequently surprised at the differences. I had gotten away with an in pond pump split to a fountain and to a cat litter bucket with a sheet of the blue and white filter media (I dont know what its called) to a small premade bioball thing to a UV. Bioballs eventually clog with algae. I know when this happens because the fountain shoots way to high. It did, at one point in time work ok. However one grows tired of rinsing the blue stuff daily. Or forgetting to rinse it and losing water to an overflowing cat litter bucket. And then the rest of the family decides they like the fish so they feed them with a heavy hand because they look so hungry. I do have pretty slow growth. So I ordered some matala matting off ebay. Thought I would build a mechanical filter that would go into what would become biofiltration similar to dont know if its ok to link on this forum so please forgive me if its not ok. I thought in the meantime that I could keep goldfishi fry in the what will become biofiltration if I could regulate the flow in and out so fry would not get sucked back into main pond. Fiance is very attached to goldfish fry. I do not want to devote a large amount of time to raising goldfish fry nor do I desire alot more goldfish. And this would regulate the temperature more consistently than a tub on the driveway. So I was thinking this tub could be dull purpose and the less expensive way to make my mistakes. Once the goldfish fry become a decent size I would move it back inline with mechanical filter. In general I'm fairly handy. I just have zero experience with plumbing.
Thanks
Travis

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If Home Depot or Lowes does not sell it by the foot try a plumbing supply store. They sell to plumbers who need a few feet for this job or that.

1" is at best barely adequate and by my thinking small for 1900gph. With the corrugated pipe you will have even less flow. You only pay for the larger size pipe once. You have to live with the reduced flow as long as you have the setup in place. Pipe is not so expensive that one has to use smallish stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
HTH on my next trip out I think I will buy some as it does seem like a more permanent solution. You know it seemed small to me too but 1'' is what comes off of the pump. I was not aware of more loss with the corrugated hose. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question