addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This poor little thing died in my lily plant floater netting........big opps now fixed that issue. But unsure of this fish.

You can see where the net caught the belly of the fish

DSC03758.jpg

It has these white hard things on its nose

DSC03757.jpg

Reaction score
Looks prehistoric, those bumps on the face are freaky. Seems to be a different body shape than a goldfish to me, but the face looks very goldfish like.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol those white bumps got me too! They were really hard, sharp

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing it was only 3 inches or so, poor thing, made me do a quick change of my floating lily holders.

Reaction score
wow interesting... although sad or the little guy. Very intrigued by the "horns" really ! Do you think it could have been a exoskeleton type parasite living on the fish ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow interesting... although sad or the little guy. Very intrigued by the "horns" really ! Do you think it could have been a exoskeleton type parasite living on the fish ?

nope, equally spaced little horns.
Looks like a hybrid.
hybrid of what?, mainly goldfish in the pond, with a few shubunkins. Or do shubunkins and goldfish create weird fish? never have for me in the past. No koi at all

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Addy; I believe it's an adult male of the rosy reds. I had several of these in my pond after the first winter, and the only fish placed in it were the rosies. Out of maybe 2000 fish, only about half a dozen grew the tubercles on the nose, and were much larger than the rest of the fish. Have to Google this one!
John
Yup, a fathead minnow. Google Rosy red minnow, click on IMAGES, and you'll find many pics just like him!
John again

Reaction score
wow I didn't know there was really a specie with those "horns" Thx HARO... eggs might have been brought by birds ! :) So nice ! Look out for others ! :) and if you find them take pictures !

Reaction score
Now you just need some flying fish in your pond and you'll have the beginnings of a very interesting backyard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I did all my floating planters out of window screening I caught a frog that had gotten stuck in the bigger mesh

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy; I believe it's an adult male of the rosy reds. I had several of these in my pond after the first winter, and the only fish placed in it were the rosies. Out of maybe 2000 fish, only about half a dozen grew the tubercles on the nose, and were much larger than the rest of the fish. Have to Google this one!
John
Yup, a fathead minnow. Google Rosy red minnow, click on IMAGES, and you'll find many pics just like him!
John again

well how did it get there, I had the lotus tub and the big pond totally separate. In the lotus tub were 3 pinkish red minnows, last summer we had maybe 20, this summer tons. The two ponds where not connected until recently. I never saw that sucker in the lotus tub.... The adults in the lotus tub are smaller, different color, more slender.

This is what I find with a rosey red, fat head minnow search, they look just like mine. I don't use google, so not getting to a site of images.

Pimephales_promelas_1.jpg

fat head minnow

fathead.jpg

mine the body looks stockier than the minnows. but coloring is close

DSC03758.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For what it's worth, I placed 25 - 30 rosies in the pond, about half of which were 'red' and half the normal brown. Of the 2000 fish in there the following year, maybe 5 or 6 were reds, the rest had all reverted to their wild colouration.
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting, mine where all the red color, just three fish lol, no normals. Will be fun to see what happens over time. This is their second year, the three where put in last spring.

Ask a Question