addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like a river chub, the horns are similar.............head shape and body shape similar

river_chub-1.jpg

creek_chub.jpg

creek chub

Mature fathead adults seldom exceed three inches in length and usually live for only 12 to 15 months. Mature males are usually larger than the females and can be distinguished from the females during the breeding season by a series of breeding tubercles on the nose or forehead. Older males are often darker than the females. The males may also possess a hard pad on the top of their head, used in the preparation of the nest or spawning site. The males are also responsible for guarding the nest. Mature females may spawn weekly, depositing 200 to 500 eggs per spawn. Some females may lay up to 4,000 eggs per season.

now need a fat head minnow breeding male pic lol

Reaction score
weird.. too bad it died, might have been need to see what a grown up version might be unless that is the grown up version... then again if a predator better it died than eating you goldies and such

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well that was interesting! If it's the chub it might not have had long to live anyways as it says they only live 12 to 15 months. I was gonna change out my floating plant rings to bigger holed stuff but now I'm not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that was interesting! If it's the chub it might not have had long to live anyways as it says they only live 12 to 15 months. I was gonna change out my floating plant rings to bigger holed stuff but now I'm not.

Never thought a fish would try to wiggle through it, all it had to do was swim up and in, silly fish

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When I first looked at the pic I though it looked like a chub. It probably got there by a bird. I've caught bigger ones in the steams in N.C when trout fishing and thought they were small trout and found out they were common trash fish for the river system. Pretty cool looking and I would bet they would probably be ok with goldies and Koi as in the wild they primary feed on insect larvae and scavanging the bottom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe an egg was stuck to a bird and fell off .I had 2 baby fish I just found before when the neighbor was here and they were in the stock tank that is in the back yard and my pond is in the front yard ,so not even sure how they got there .I wondered if a frog could have had an egg stuck to it when it went from the front pond to the stock tank .I thought at first it was taddies but after looking better they are fish .

Ask a Question