It's all about the placement and landscaping

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In my opinion the most important consideration for pond placement is to put the pond in a area where the pond owner can see and enjoy the pond the most. Whether its from windows in the house or outside on the patio.

After that landscaping can help with any placement.

I wouldn't put a pond up against the edge of the yard with a fence behind it if I had to go out of the way to go enjoy the pond.

But that's just my opinion which works for me.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my opinion the most important consideration for pond placement is to put the pond in a area where the pond owner can see and enjoy the pond the most. Whether its from windows in the house or outside on the patio.

After that landscaping can help with any placement.

I wouldn't put a pond up against the edge of the yard with a fence behind it if I had to go out of the way to go enjoy the pond.

But that's just my opinion which works for me.
That was one of the very first things I was told before I started work on my pond -- put it where you can enjoy it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We started out with a big empty football field as a yard. We put the pond right in the middle, to help break up the length of the yard and for maximum viewing from the house and patio.

house-1.jpg

and with the pond in the middle of the yard:

DSCN9756.JPG
DSCN9758.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, for me part of "enjoying it" is having something that looks good enough to not be embarrassed when guests come over or something that I think my neighbors would be angry with me putting next door to them. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do agree that the post could have been shared in a more positive light, but I also think there are people who do want to achieve a natural looking pond and a few key tips can go a long way towards helping them with that goal. For example, the "necklace" pond look can be easily modified over time with plants and by placing a few larger rocks or even adding other elements to the edging like drift wood. Sometimes I look at something I like for a looooong time before I finally key in on the elements that make it appealing to my eye.

Reaction score
We started out with a big empty football field as a yard. We put the pond right in the middle, to help break up the length of the yard and for maximum viewing from the house and patio.

house-1.jpg

and with the pond in the middle of the yard:

View attachment 93622 View attachment 93623
Exactly my point. The eye is stopped at the pond and not looking over it to the space behind it. Beautiful pond!

Reaction score
I don't agree with this post, not for my own sake, because my pond is in my fenced in back yard blended with all my plants and bananna trees and patio. This kind of thinking and suggestion makes others who didn't follow suite feel bad or may make their pond feel inadequate. I left one forum because of post like this, they were elitist and they had very very nice ponds, most professionally built. They even stooped to call mine a "garden pond" which compared to their 50,000 ones yes it was. I would neither spend that kind of money on a pond and I don't have that kind of money to spend on one. As long as you enjoy your pond, it thrives and gives you what you want, then it sounds like it was well designed to me.
Sorry you feel this way. But I stand by my comments. Yes you can dig a hole in the ground and fill it with water. Yes that hole can make you happy. If so then that is the end of the discussion. However if after you dig the hole and it isn't what you want then you need to ask why. Maybe you don't have the talent or inspiration to design a perfect pond but money should never be the issue. Have you ever visited Colonial Williamsburg? Have you noticed that even the smallest buildings look nicer than the houses that they are building today? Why because there was attention to detail back then. Not because people had a lot of money. Here is a pond I found on the internet.
images

Here is the one I posted originally. See any difference? Both are small and both are at the back of the yard. That is about the extent of things. It's all about the landscaping and placement. The first pond could be beautiful with just a little more detail.It has everything going for it.
lawson pond 1.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am a believer in: I may not agree with your [univseral "you"] opinion, but it's your right to be able to have that opinion and I respect that. Diversity makes the world a more interesting and beautiful place.

------------------

Five years ago, I never dreamed of building a pond. Instead, I had 8 baby box turtles living in an outdoor habitat. Box turtles aren't aquatic, but they DO require clean water for soaking and cooling off. Most people simply put out plant saucers [or similar] filled with water. Problem is, turtles are messy, messy [they poop in the water], and the chore of constantly cleaning and filling multiple dishes became a non-option. That's what spawned my idea of building an outdoor "watering hole" for them that would have recirculating water -- healthier for them and easier for me [and we all know that "easier" translates to "compliance."]. So, the ideas evolved....and continued to evolve. Why not just make it a small pond with a fenced off, shallow area just for the turts. But, of course, we had to have fish if we're going to have a pond, and a larger body of water is easier to maintain [quality-wise] than a smaller body of water......so......

I won't detail the ideas and changes since that original idea, but there have been many. First and foremost was that the turtles and their habitat [which consumes about a 1/3 of the back yard] was my primary concern and focus. The pond was secondary so we had to figure out logical, practical, and aesthetic ways to make it happen, working with the space and layout that was left. After a year with a great, functioning system that the turtles enjoyed, I was beginning to realize there were many, many impractical and potentially unsafe aspects to my "design." So, a major pond renovation took place and the turtles now have their own bogs within the habitat -- which are plumbed to the pond. Aesthetically speaking, my initial design looked great as I was able to incorporate pond and habitat in a way that made it look nice and somewhat natural. But, now I'm stuck with "safer and more practical" [for the turtles], and aesthetics had to take a back seat. Five years ago there was no way I could have anticipated what was going to work and what wasn't going to work as far as marrying the pond with the habitat. I'm sure I could have hired someone to come in with a plan to totally remake the entire backyard, incorporating the pond, including a complete re-make of the turtle habitat; as well as hiring someone to do the work. In another life, I will seriously consider taking this route. But I have what I have. My turtles are happy and healthy, and I have a [tacky looking] pond that I enjoy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My pond is probably one of the least "attractive" on here, but when I tinker with it it reminds me of when I was much younger and my friend and I would spend hours down at the local pond with a net and bucket watching how all the living creatures and plants interacted with each other. That taught me that in an aquatic environment, everything has it's role to play.

Ponds are an individual thing, I don't think I would be happy with one that required a lot of maintenance and "trimming".
Some people do like that and good for them.
I like watching how nature is constantly adjusting my pond. I don't want to go against that.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Good, spirited discussion eveyone! To me, Garden Pond Forum is like a large buffet; I pick and choose what I prefer and ignore what I don't. (I prefer pictures over opinions and dessert over vegetables, by the way). ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is probably one of the least "attractive" on here, but when I tinker with it it reminds me of when I was much younger and my friend and I would spend hours down at the local pond with a net and bucket watching how all the living creatures and plants interacted with each other. That taught me that in an aquatic environment, everything has it's role to play.

Ponds are an individual thing, I don't think I would be happy with one that required a lot of maintenance and "trimming".
Some people do like that and good for them.
I like watching how nature is constantly adjusting my pond. I don't want to go against that.

Mitch if I get moose at my pond like yours then I could care less what that sucker looked like (y)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like streams and connecting ponds! If I ever have the chance, that's what I'm gonna nag with (LOL, I had to leave that in -- apparently auto-check liked "I'm gonna nag with" better than, "I'm going to go with." ).

Ask a Question