It's getting real introduction

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm in western Massachusetts and have finally persuaded my other half to create a stream/waterfall/pond in our back yard. We're thinking about using a stock tank for bog filtration, creating a short stream with some amount of drop to make beautiful music, and feeding into a relatively small pond around 5x10 feet. Our interests are primarily in attracting frogs and toads, enjoying the sounds of running water, and having a beautiful cool place to dip my feet in the water during the summer months. I'm an avid gardener so the plants/landscaping will be easy. Bring electricity and building a retaining wall to get enough height for the waterfall will be harder. Affording and schlepping all the rock will be the hardest part. Lots of questions to come.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654013856591.gif
@Lynnski
Sounds nice what you are wanting to build. A few little fish will help keep the skeeters away.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, run your ideas and questions by everyone here. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people willing to share.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome neighbor.
At least you should dig up a few rocks along the way.
Best advice I can give your already on that path is ask questions before you start all to many times people come in . I started digging my new pond a week ago what do you think . And all too often the answer is if you had done this it would save labor and dollars. Either a nicer looking final project.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hah, plenty of roots but not a single rock to be found. Our neighborhood (near the CT river) used to flood before the Army Corps of engineers built a dike after the 1938 flood. Flood waters brought topsoil from all around town. So we have terrific soil for growing! But no rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Know the area well spring field use to flood baddd. Use to go to those wetlands for wildlife photography

Ask a Question