It's going to be a bad fish year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think malachite green would be a better choice than the Primafix.

I don't know how long either of those could be left in the water or how long it lasts without filtration, but maybe you could find that information online.

The other option would be water changes to get the medication out of the system, but that's not easy to do in cold weather. Bad time of year to be having these problems, but then, there really isn't a good time for sick fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I think malachite green would be a better choice than the Primafix.

I don't know how long either of those could be left in the water or how long it lasts without filtration, but maybe you could find that information online.

The other option would be water changes to get the medication out of the system, but that's not easy to do in cold weather. Bad time of year to be having these problems, but then, there really isn't a good time for sick fish.
The ice has started forming again so I think my options are getting pretty limited. Two weeks ago I had changed out almost 50% of the water when the ammonia spiked. I am sure that was stressful for the fish but I was hoping for the best. It looks like it will need to come down to the survival of the fittest over winter which I don't think will end well.

Ask a Question