It's snot all fun and games.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well it's been awhile since I posted. You know winter and all that just meant there wasn't much to do. But since I did a wee bit of cleaning I thought I would update ya'll. So as some of you know this was my first winter with my pond. About a week after it got cold here (yeah yeah it was in the high 40's but the water was CHILLY), my pump kept tripping the breaker. I assumed it needed the filter cleaned out. (Note #1 to self, clean filter before winter sets in). I made the rational decision that since most of my Northern friends just turn their pump off for the winter, well I would do the same thing.... (Note #2 to self, those crazy people live in snow, I don't). Anyway so I had these lovely green tree floaters that eventually covered the pond looking like a tiny green forest. I was so cute....
Forward to last Wednesday...
I finally decided it was time to pull on my big girl panties, (and some wading boots) and get in the pond to clean out the filter so I got my little rake out to pull my floating sweetness of trees out of the way and OH DEAR GOOD GOLLY THE WATER HAS TURNED TO SNOT!!! Gallons and gallons of free floating, slimy, green snot. Not sure what I mean? Ever see Ghostbusters when the ghost sneezes on one of the ghost dudes.... There yah go. I had gallons of it...
(Note #3 to self, those tiny floating trees must be under adult supervision or they bully the rest of the pond).
So... I drained, skimmed, raked, swept, and have refilled the pond. I know I should have tried filtering it but this approached a nastiness only known by me when my daughter was tiny and ate way too much mushed peas and had a tummy ache I felt this was the wisest course.(Note #4 to self, try to avoid either of the above again, EVER).
In any event I'm back up and running, so HAPPY SPRING POND PEEPS!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes having the plague and dengue fever is a wonderful way to make sure my garden grows...
Hahahaha
Actually I did drain it into my yard and garden area but scooped a tremendous amount into the rubbish bin. I felt bad for the rubbish guys this morning because you could smell that muck sitting in the front yard from my back yard...
Bet I know who's getting air fresheners from my neighborhood secret Santa this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just netted out a good bit of algae, and my pond was netted ....it's just a spring thing! Happy ponding:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I dig holes in my garden for the stuff i net from the bottom.There is no way I am ever getting in my pond .Secret Santa better get a lot of those air fresheners .I bet they thought you had a dead body in there .YIKES :ROFLMAO:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Sissy!! Oh I was able to finally get my modified Sissy sock under the waterfall so you can't see the liner there any longer so it was worth it. I am hoping that just keeping the pump going next year will clear up the issue.
Hmmm, maybe that'll keep my nosy neighbors away?? Wishful thinking?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A bumper crop of filamentous algae, I see. Great stuff, soaks up nutrients and most other pollutants like Heavy Metals, pharmaceuticals, health and beauty products that your local water service does not. Plus it provides a home and food for countless micro and meio-organisms that are important to a pond's overall health and balance. The fish like it too.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I was pretty sure it wasn't a terrible thing but it was thick, smelled bad, and I don't have fish. And I stopped putting pharmaceuticals and beauty products into the pond years ago. (y)
Hope you've been well Meyer!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep lots of activated charcoal in my crates on my filters over the winter and add koi clay and I was really worried about that happening to me since the pond is new as of last March .I had a little but not much .I know the taddies love it and have seen several frogs by my pond already .I don't even have it in the waterfall part

Attachments

• chair pond gem stones 002.JPG
    chair pond gem stones 002.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 267

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well since my parrot feather flourished I think if I just keep the pump going like I do in the summer I shouldn't have this issue. I even have a water lettuce sprouting that didn't die in there.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nothing like a four foot drape of green snot....... yuck!
So you've been peeking at my pond huh? LOL
Notwithstanding it's nastiness it was rather impressive in all it's slimy glory.
Question though. I did rinse and re-pot my lilies but am not sure the best way to clean off the parrots feather. I think Addy or someone may have recommended a hydrogen peroxide bath before releasing it back into the pond. Any suggestions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use hydrogen peroxide and water for plants and then soak them in water and fertilizer .I have know also found plain old kitty litter in water helps also it acts as a binder to the algae

Ask a Question