JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was suggested by @j.w that I make a thread to post all of my arts & crafts in one place, so here it is! :)

I'll post here whenever I have something new to share, but I'll start out by showing some of the various arts & crafts I've made over the years.
I first started with pencil drawings around 2010. It was just a hobby to kill time. I mainly drew football players to start with, and then eventually moved on to airplanes as I learned more about shading and detail. You can see I incorporated color into some of my drawings. I think it worked better in some cases than others.

drawings.jpg

My favorite drawing by far is one of the last ones I made, the RMS Titanic. I drew this in 2017.
titanic.jpg

In the mid-2010's I started making things out of wood. Mostly small Christmas ornaments. I just used whatever I had around the house. I'd cut a slice of wood out of a branch in my yard and then draw on it with sharpie and colored pencil. I don't have photos of a lot of the early ones I made, but here's a couple I still have today. Because they were from branches, they were small. Usually between 1" and 1.5" in diameter.

IMG_2396 copy.jpg

Now in recent years, I cut my own 2" to 3" circular disks out of boards or any scrap wood I have sitting around, then sand them into the best circle I can get. I've also made larger crafts to hang on walls or on cabinet handles. Oh, and I taught myself how to paint. Aside from maybe elementary school, I had never picked up a paint brush until 2018. I have a love-hate relationship with painting. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I get good results from it. Plus, I like that there's no worry about making a mistake because I can just paint over it in most cases. I never sell anything I make. 85% of what I make is given out as gifts to family members. My mom and grandma get a lot of them because they genuinely love it. They've always loved crafts in general, and when I started making things, the requests started pouring in. :ROFLMAO: The other 15% I usually make for myself. Similarly to when I first started drawing, it's a way to kill time, especially as winter rolls in and I'm looking for things to do.

The Grinch on my mini christmas tree.
grinch.jpg

Badgers/Packers logo
packerbadger.jpg

Jiminy Cricket
jiminy.jpg

Bison, wolf, and fox arrowheads
IMG_2403 copy.jpg

Snowy Owl
snowy.jpg

My grandma's house. I made this one for myself. Lots of Christmas memories in this house. After I finished this one and shared it on social media, I then had to remake it 6 times for my mom, my aunts, and my grandma. I couldn't wait to get that over with. :ROFLMAO:
gmaornament.jpg

Bald Eagle
eagle.jpg

A deer & pine trees silhouette
deer.jpg

A Jack O Lantern. The face was carved with a pocket knife. This is the first time I ever tried something like this. In hindsight, I would've liked to change the pumpkin shape a little bit and make the stem a little longer too.
jackolantern.jpg

Great Horned Owl
owl.jpg

Northern Cardinals.
cardinals.jpg

An Eastern Bluebird and an American Robin on a River Birch.
bird.jpg

A snowy barn scene.
barn.jpg

My favorite painting so far: A winter scene of a covered bridge over a small stream with snowy mountains in the background. This is on one of those cheap 5" x 7" canvases.
snowypainting.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's what I've made so far this year.

In September I painted this for my grandma. She loves the fall season and sunflowers are her favorite flower so I thought it was perfect. She couldn't stop talking about it when I gave it to her. :ROFLMAO:
IMG_1110 copy.jpg

Last weekend I picked up a cheap woodburner just because I was curious about what I might be able to do with it. Here's what I made so far with it.
IMG_2366 copy.jpg

I dont know if I'm done with this one yet. I might paint it up a bit.
IMG_2398 copy.jpg

And then last night I put together a Metal Earth model of an SR-71 and turned it into a christmas ornament.
IMG_2393 copy.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy to see you really started this thread! Too bad you don't love doing all of this as you are very good and I think you could make money on it all. Money isn't everything tho so just keep on having fun making these for your family and yourself if that's what you like. I do enjoy seeing what you come up with and I think everyone else here will also :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is what I'm currently working on tonight. More wood burning.

I'm not really sure if I should leave it as is or paint this one similarly to the lighthouse. I might paint the trees and leave the moose the natural burned color. I also might give the untouched wood a layer of really watered down brown paint to give it sort of a stained look. Always tough making decisions after you've spent time working on something.

IMG_2404 copy.jpg

the moos

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh looks good to me just the way it is but I'm no artist. I bet it would look good either way. Wonder if there is a program where one could make it looked stained to see how it would look before you do it to the real one?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder if there is a program where one could make it looked stained to see how it would look before you do it to the real one?

I have used photoshop in the past to test things like that. I even used photoshop once to test different colors on someone's house for them :ROFLMAO:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been working on this wood burning project the past two nights. I'm nearly five hours in, and I've got a long way to go. The head is complete besides the antlers. The body obviously needs quite a bit more shading.

I'm a bit nervous about the antlers, but that will be a project for another day. Other than that, I'm pretty thrilled about it so far.

IMG_20231122_224250822~2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been working on this wood burning project the past two nights. I'm nearly five hours in, and I've got a long way to go. The head is complete besides the antlers. The body obviously needs quite a bit more shading.

I'm a bit nervous about the antlers, but that will be a project for another day. Other than that, I'm pretty thrilled about it so far.

View attachment 161399
Beautiful work and no worries, you have the talent and it shows!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Your Fokker picture so reminded me of something I wanted to share. Two years ago we visited The Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA (I love airplanes). Looky, looky what I spotted in the WWI exhibit ❤️❤️❤️! I was sooooo excited! Of course…..many won’t understand……

IMG_0499.jpeg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Your Fokker picture so reminded me of something I wanted to share. Two years ago we visited The Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA (I love airplanes). Looky, looky what I spotted in the WWI exhibit ❤️❤️❤️! I was sooooo excited! Of course…..many won’t understand……

View attachment 161400

Coincidentally one of my future project ideas is a christmas ornament of Snoopy flying a bi-plane, maybe specifically a Sopwith Camel but I haven't decided yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gorgeous. (There's a wonderful Facebook group, "Moose Lovers".)
There is a something or other lover for everything on Facebook...............even a hippo lovers group or two. I'm getting this shirt for Christmas:
71x3twNWh0L._AC_SY445_.jpg

Ask a Question