sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The closer you are to shore the worse the rain will be so far saying 5 to 8 for us but we have already had lots of rain and shore areas 8 to 12 and then you have to factor in high tide and any surges .I am not sure why 5 to 8 inch's will do to us since there is lots of flooding here already .I lowered my stock tank because it has been running over the top and have to lower the pond .Thunderstorm warning for us tonight with heavy rain and another one for tomorrow with heavy rain and then the storm coming .Danville water is already up by the road behind the stores on riverside drive .It was on the star news last night .Huge trees going down the dan river to the falls.Which means it will clog everything up river

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I question the wisdom of lowering the pond's water level, especially a foot, as part of the pre-storm prep. What is the reasoning behind this?
My ponds are both above ground as well as the stock tank with fry. I'm not willing to risk having fish jump out or get washed out. I'm not sure if I lost any fry from the overflow last night or not but I now have a fine mesh net over the tank.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That the pond(s) are above ground or in-ground is not a factor. I guess it is a matter of deciding which is the greater risk: fish escaping or severe acute stress from a possible relatively abrupt drop in pH.

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will be checking ph as storm goes on. Hoping we don't have to deal with this but this will be our 4th major storm if not more. That's why I started this thread , to see what else I as well as everyone else needs to worry about.. Our power company planned an outage for yesterday for a repair to a transformer box. Power was suppose to be off sometime between 8:30- 12:00. Power never went out but generator was running. I have company coming Friday that have never dealt with a hurricane before. They have tickets for Dover speedway for Sundays race. Could be a long weekend.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hurricanes... now there's something I'm glad I never have to worry about. Good luck to anyone effected by it. Looks like flooding is the main concern of this hurricane so far.

They have tickets for Dover speedway for Sundays race. Could be a long weekend.

At this point I'm not sure there will be a race.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck mrsclem, I will be watching the storm via our cameras, can't prep when you are away, our house sitters will keep me informed

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, we have company coming from Ohio for the big race in Dover on Sunday! Not sure what will happen but we are getting ready for the weather here. Took down the fabric on our 12x12 canopy and put the curtains in the dryer on medium. Imagine my surprise when I open the dryer and a tree frog jumps out on me! 40 minutes and he's still alive ! He got moved to the back yard and made sure the rest of the canopy does not contain any wildlife!

Ask a Question