Jumping Koi! and Filtration

Reaction score
Are you sure your pond is three feet deep? I would double check that first. Is your container 4 x 4 x 4? If so that is nearly 500 gallons and should be plenty of room to overwinter your fish inside if you so choose (you will however need filtration).

I am concerned with if the smaller fish will have the reserves to make it over winter. Are they on the skinny side or the plump side? Personally, seeing how you already have a 500 gallon tank, and the fish are small, I would be more inclined to let them spend the winter inside, but that is just me..........

Reaction score
Now I am starting to wonder, did you mean to say 4 cubic feet? If so this is only about 30 gallons and WAY to small..........

But you said 4 foot cubed which is 4 to the 3rd power (can't do scientific notation here) or 4 x 4 x 4........................

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
last winter i left a half a dozen fry in the pond under 3" plain no colors..no airstone no pump no nothing this spring came and they were fine. theres about that many again this year, they want to stay they stay, im not gonna do anythig this year either come spring i bet their fine too! this year theyre smaller..all under 2" no colors either

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but it will very with the winter how many survive. I am hesitant because of these things:

1) OP says pond depth is "about 2-3 feet" I would like to see a measurement. (if it comes in at 16 inches or so that changes things a bit)
2) There is cause for concern that the fish may already be infected, thus in a weakend state. While they are most likely flashing and jumping due to overcrowding and poor water quality, we just don't know.
3) We don't know if the current pond already has fish and if so what the stocking levels are and what the current water quality of the pond is.

Reaction score
The current pond is empty and was recently reconstructed and expanded and I measure a few minutes ago it is 27 inches deep. I'm not so sure about the infection part but it is a good idea to take that into consideration.

Reaction score
They are in a 55 gallon container at the moment but are moving to something around 75 gallons in a day or two.

Reaction score
The more I thought about it I realize 75 is way to small as well. I will be looking for a better option for indoor housing. If you have any quick easy ways, throw some ideas my way.

Reaction score
you need to get your fish back in the pond...it's too late in the season to be fooling with this. 75 gals is way to small to house so many fish. Acclimate your fish back in the pond as koiguy has described and let 'em just ride out the winter there.

Reaction score
What is your budget? I wouldn't recomend any thing smaller that a 150 gallon tank, larger would be better. If you went with an aquarium, something along the lines of a fluval fx-5 for filtration. But unless you can find this stuff cheap second hand we are talking a good chunk of change here.

Reaction score
you need to get your fish back in the pond...it's too late in the season to be fooling with this. 75 gals is way to small to house so many fish. Acclimate your fish back in the pond as koiguy has described and let 'em just ride out the winter there.

LOL, we just got over a foot of snow last night here, so soon it will be to late in the season to be fooling around outside as well. The one benefit of wintering them inside is they can be monitored in case they actually are sick/diseased.

Reaction score
55 gallon is WAY to small for any length of time, no wonder they were jumping out. It's a long way from 4 feet cubed. I am concerned about a fast acclimation of small, possibly stressed fish, into near freezing temps.

Reaction score
If I was not getting fish this weekend, I would offer to place them in my pond for the winter, we are practically neighbors. I don't have a quarantine to make sure they don't infect my fish and I'm not sure how I would retrieve them come spring without draining.

Its getting colder around hear, my pond froze over for the first time today.

Ask a Question