Jumping Koi! and Filtration

Reaction score
Haha, I know I have changed the dimensions because when creating the account I was using the incorrect measurements and hadn't noticed it until koiguy pointed it out. So does anyone know how to house koi indoors fairly cheaply?

Reaction score
4 cubic feet is just under 500 gallons, thats not really that bad for 10 small fish, overstocked but not critical mass for 20 considering the size of the fish(depending on the sizes of the missing 10). I would prefer a little more lenght and width and a little less depth (for an indoor poond). Are you sure on these dimensions?

Reaction score
It is very important that you give us accurate measurements and head counts. What may seem to be a little difference can in effect be huge.

For instance if your container is 4 x 4 x 4 (4 feet cubed) that is almost 500 gallons.

If it is actually 4 x 4 x 2 that is only 240 gallons.....big difference.

If you tell us your pond is 3 feet deep and you are told to go ahead and put them into the pond you should be fine when in all actuallity it is only 18-24 inches deep, it could be the difference between life and death depending on how severe the winter is.

Reaction score
For clarification. I gave some fish away and a couple jumped out before I learned they can jump. Unfortunately. The original post happened before most of it.

Reaction score
What do you mean koi keeper? I am just trying to help my fish and I was hoping you all could help me do that. At this point it seems like you are criticizing me for every mistake I make. It's not like I did it on purpose. Also, why would I ask you a question when I need help if something was "fishy"?

I appreciate your help and I am working on getting a bigger temp tank for them to stay in over the winter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We still like you :fish2:
every one just wants the facts ...

Reaction score
Thanks, I still am interested in what the cheapest thing would be that could make a good indoor home. Any ideas?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the truth... the whole truth... and nothing but the truth....or at least a close second !! LOL. any ways do you know your usda zone? if its a 5 or higher you shouldnt have any trouble putting your fish outside, running an airstone for gas exchange if your ponds almost 3' deep. check your ponds depth

Reaction score
Haha, I live in/ in between zone 5a and 5b. Indianapolis is right in the middle. I have an airstone in there already and I'll check the depth when I get home. If I were to put the fish outside and I would need to bring their body temperature down gradually. how long do you think it should take for a safe transition?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
put them in as large of a plastic bag as you can get...1 fish per bag would be good if possible.. the more water in the bag the the better so it will more gradually acclimate temps. when the waters are the same temp take the extra time to slowly add pond water to the bag so any water chemistry changes will slowly blend and reduce any stress to the fish. (ph differences etc..) at colder water temps their metabolism is slowed way down and their immune system is on low. so do not feed for atleast a day before moving them outside, any food in their digestive tract may end up in there until spring, rotting and causing medical problems. i am assuming theres a considerable temp diff between waters inside and out. you could also replace some of the water in the temporary pond with some water from the outdoor pond, say a 5 gal bucket full or 2 two every hour or so to slowly let fish get used to any chemistry differences. poor it in slowly to not temp shock the fish.

Reaction score
That really helps alot. I just have one more question... how much oxygen is needed to stay in the bag during that time? Is extra needed?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you fill the bag 3/4 full of water (before you put the fish in it) hold it closed and shake it vigorously for 20 or 30 seconds it will have more than enough oxygen in it for the move.

Ask a Question