Jumping Koi! and Filtration

Reaction score
I recently bought about 20 small and medium sized koi and since it is getting cold here I have been keeping them in a large container indoors instead of placing them in my pond outside. I now have some netting over the lid because they have started to jump out.

1) I read about the water quality not being adequate enough and but I have tested it and it's fine.

2) They can also jump due to them not being comfortable in their new environment (most likely)

3) Parasites this is also an option but I would like to explore other possibilities before treatment

I am considering putting them in the pond for the winter and bring them down to temperature so they will have more room to swim. However, I am hesitant because I am new to koi and I am not sure if I trust them to last all winter. I think my pond is deep enough.

So too options move them into a larger tank indoors OR move them outside.
What do you think the best option would be?

Another issue I am having is the rate at which the koi are dirtying the water because they are bigger fish. Is there a homemade filter that would be best in clearing the water? (In either a pond or indoor container.)

Any or all advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
parasites will cause flashing before jumping. thats where youll see them rub their belly or side on the bottom or sides of the pond or objects in it.. they wil swim slowly against whatever it is and suddenly rub against it very qickly showing a flash of reflection off their scales...hence the name "flashing" if its only been a couple days or less it could be stress of the move...longer than that water quality may be the reason. did you dechlorinate the water? what are you doing for filtration? how long have they been in the tubs? number of fish and how big are the tubs?
the diy section here has filter build instructions...several different styles...koiguys 55 gallon biofilter...etc.
link:https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-55-gallon-bio-filter-skippy-style-t4339.html

Reaction score
We get our water from a well so it doesn't contain any chlorine or other chemicals. So I am leaning more and more towards parasites but I do not know much about diagnosing as for which type of parasite it is. I know there are tests where you take samples from the fish sides and look under a microscope but I do not have access to one. Is there a simple treatment that is works on a variety of parasites?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
are they flashing? if not parasites are likely not the problem..they flash to scratch an itch and to try to remove parasites!! if they arent flashing and have been in the tubs a while, water quality is more likely. but they shouldnt have any probems wintering outside if your ponds big and deep enough.
i winter mine indoors in a 800 gal pond in the basement.

Reaction score
I'm Sorry, I meant to answer that. When I first got the fish about a week ago they were flashing all or some (not sure). However, I have not noticed them doing it recently. Even though they jump out. I might not be paying close enough attention to their behavior, that's next on my agenda.

Reaction score
you have still not answered the filtration question. Are you filtering the water? Also, how big is this holding container you have them in? If it is too small and they are crowded together they will freak out and try to jump.

Having well water is not a reason to ignore water quality. Are you doing partial water changes often? If not, that will certainly affect water quality.

Reaction score
I do regular water changes, but I am beginning to think the container is too small for the amount of fish. It is just temporary but the jumping makes me hesitant on putting them in the larger pond, where they will be more happy. As for filtration, since it is a small container. I do daily cleanings of an external filter on the tank.

Also, Even though multiple fish had been jumping at different times as I was watching one jumped straight out of the water twice in a minute or so. I'm not sure if this helps. Thank you for all the replies.

Reaction score
If I were you, I would get those fish in the pond. They are clearly not happy or acclimating well to the holding container you have them in. It sounds like they'd be better off in the pond. I am not keen on your water changes/filtration description, and I think that your water quality has disintegrated and they are being affected by the water quality. Aside from you already saying the container is too small.

Your biggest problem now will be transitioning them back to the pond adequately. You will need to either float that tub they are in so that the temp in the container matches that of the pond. DO NOT just toss them in the pond without proper acclimitization.

Also, add some pond salt to the pond as well when they are in there.

It's always a marvel to me why folks are afraid to keep their koi in the pond over winter. These fish do perfectly fine in the pond. If you are totally freaked out about overwintering them there, just buy a heater and pop it into the water. They do use a lot of wattage, but it often makes people feel better about keeping their fish outside.

Personally, my fish have always done perfectly fine outside all winter.

Reaction score
You still have not answered about the size of your container. Words like small, medium, and larger are all relative to the perspective of the owner, but tell those who want to help little.

1) What is the size of the fish
2) how many gallons is the container they are in.

Also, what part of Indianna (south, north) do you live in? if the fish are too small and you live in Northern Indianna I might suggest wintering them inside...........

Reaction score
I know I have been avoiding answering the question about how large it is because to be honest I'm not entirely sure. I'm guessing it is about 4 foot cubed. As for my location, I live Indianapolis smack dab in the middle. I have two fish about 6 inches long and about 8 'smaller' 4-5 inch ones.

Sorry for the confusion it is hard to describe what I see everyday to someone that knows nothing about it.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I completely agree, I just got the koi last week and was looking into a more temporary container to house them in. Do you know of something fairly cheap that would make a good container big enough? The reason I don't want to invest in something more permanent is because one day I hope to expand the pond to a depth that can support the life of koi in colder weather.

I really mean the best for these beautiful fish even though I am not yet experienced with larger fish. I saved them from being tossed away and I had to think quickly. Now I am hoping to get them a nice home. Thanks again

Ask a Question