Jumping Koi! and Filtration

Reaction score
I recently built a 190 gal pond in my garage using 4x4's stacked log cabin style. The outside dimensions are approximately 5.5' long x 2.5' wide 2.5' deep. I lined it on the inside with 1" styrofoam insulation and a piece of pond liner. I built a skippy type filter based on koiguys filter with a 20 gal brute garbage pail and a 500 gph pondmaster pump. Water quality is now excellent and the 13 3-5 inch koi, goldfish and shubunkins seem happy.

It was easy to build but a bit more expensive that I was expecting.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pebcpa... you do reallize that the ones in the outdoor pond are gonna really be mad when they find that the ones they thought you got rid of.. come back in the spring.. talking about their winter vacation in a heated pond..LOL
how about some pics?

Reaction score
Koiguy, I laughed so hard when I read your post!!! I had to show it to my wife...

I've been meaning to take some pics. It's been up and running for nearly 3 months but I still haven't. I'll take some picture soon.

MrMMB
The 4x4's were about 8 bucks each and I needed 18...$144.
Liner 15x15 but I only needed a little more than half of it...$79.99.
that was a good price on ebay that I found out about on this forum
4x8 sheet of 1" styrofoam insulation (the kind used under siding)...$22
I think I got the pump on ebay for about $75.
The filter including garbage pail with all of the plumbing parts was probably under$50.
So in total it was probably about $370

Reaction score
Thanks, It's amazing how stuff like that adds up on no time. I'm looking forward to some of those pictures.

Reaction score
I would think in this situation, time is of the essence. In door pond projects are truly amazing, but the bigger question is how long will it take and can you keep your fish happy in the interim.

While you live about 5 hours south of me I can tell you snow is just around the corner for you. We got blasted with over a foot friday and my pond now has a layer of ice completly covering it. Extended weather reports are reporting a possibility of an even bigger storm on the way middle of next week.

Reaction score
MrMMB, Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Gorgeous! Am I seeing a heated garage? My nieghbor did something simular when he converted his hot tub/spa into a pond.

Reaction score
That's awesome. I thought I would let everyone know I moved all of the koi to a 275 gallon tank yesterday and they seem a lot happier with good filtration and lots of space. Thanks for all the advice.

Ask a Question