Just a few interesting tidbits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Goldfish pond has an algae growth in the upper pond, and the lillys are not doing so well.
tiny lillys.jpg

There is no room for more plants:
golfish bog.jpg

The lillys in the main pond where the fish live are doing OK:
goldfish pond.jpg

The swimming pond also has a bog full of plants:
swimmin' pond bog.jpg

Water crystal clear, but had the usual outbreak of string algae, which has been taken care of:
swimmin' pond.jpg

My biggest concern is the small size of the pads on the lillys in the upper goldfish pond. Last year they had nice big pads, and nice pink, and white blooms. This year, the largest pad is about the size of a silver dollar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Since I don't have koi this season, I'm fertilizing my lilies more.....have you fertilized yours?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The temps here have been very mild we only just touched 90 last week. i think that has made for smaller than average growth.

I would get some SERIOUS aeration in the hair algae pond. also time to harvest some plants they are choking each other out . Don't necessarily pull out the roots unless its very tight. i'd start with cutting the plants down to a couple inches they then will have room for new shoots to grow as you know that will give the pond a drain on nutrients thus starving the algae

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with @GBBUDD 's suggestion of more aeration. It would help break up the algae and move it to the skimmer. I used to only rely on the water fall and it wasn't circulating the water at the bottom of the pond. I place an air stone on the bottom and it has really helped.
And as said above, fertilizing the water lilies will help.
aerator.jpg

Ask a Question