Just when you think you have the pond mastered. Mother nature steps in....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mother nature threw at us last night for the first time this year below ZERO temps we woke up to negative 3 degrees. Seeing as it was 40 degrees all week with a slight drop still above freezing. Well this morning while walking out to the pond i got a unpleasant surprise. The water in the pond is 8" low after seeing that at some point during the night the water level had actually gone up about two inches in the main pond and a good four inches in the stream and upper pond.

Well i am now at the mercy of mother nature. I have the hose pushing water into the pond and all i can do at this point is hope the hose can stay ahead of the leak/ overflow.

The new main waterfall has frozen on half of the original width and is now coming down the right side only. i brought the liner well outside the area of the ice . you can see some of it to the right of the picture below. Same goes for the left side as the large flat rock is never underwater but the liner runs well outside of the picture. The WEAK LINK is the stream and upper pond where i have a couple edges at 2" above the normal water line.
ice pond  (1 of 7).jpg
The negative edge " below" is completely frozen but that is probably after the cistern emptied trying to refill the pond.
ice pond  (3 of 7).jpg

The upper pond and the stream are clearly about 3" higher than they ever are and is where I believe water is getting out. The main waterfall is still flowing but hobitt falls is a block of ice.
ice pond  (4 of 7).jpg

Thankfully i added water to the cistern yesterday for the second time since the new bog was built but as you can see the water has droped about 8"
ice pond  (5 of 7).jpg
ice pond  (6 of 7).jpg

This winter i guess i was lucky . we had temps drop below freezing and stay there but it got just to freezing and not below zero. it's so cold that the water can't keep and open path below the ice lesson learned , I only hope it doesn't become an expensive lesson as well. I will probably leave the hose running all night in hopes to salvage this bad scenario.

Yes I could shut down the pump however i can not get the lid off to drain down the water. i can't shut any valves as they too are frozen. The main drain is supplying the the pump water while the two return jets tot he pond " no concerns there" and the 3" line to the bog is my problem as the water is backing up between the falls streams and upper pond.
Going to drape some plastic over the pump area and get some heat in there and see it that allows me to shut things down.

best i can do is break up some of the ice , cover the falls with a sheet of AZEK closing it in as much as possible to keep the area from the frigged temps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my gosh!!!! I hope everything is ok. I know this is small consolation - but even in the midst of a winter weather disaster, your pond is incredibly beautiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my gosh!!!! I hope everything is ok. I know this is small consolation - but even in the midst of a winter weather disaster, your pond is incredibly beautiful!
Thanks @bagsmom I do enjoy sitting out there all 4 seasons. I'm scared what comes next I'm very close to finished. I just hope I can salvage without a total failure. lesson learned watch the weather closer and and real cold snaps shut the pumps down. I ran the air To keep an opening but with the dollars i have in fish . the pump running keeps the water much cleaner and thus the fish have a better environment. Maybe the answer is to build a tent over each of the falls and stream next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh crap. What a nightmare something like this is to wake up to. I hope it all turns out OK in the end. You're lucky you can keep your hose running non stop. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation like that. Oof!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know you will figure it out. Crossing fingers and saying prayers that this was just a warning and an opportunity to improve things and won't turn out to be a full-blown disaster. When is your weather supposed to let up enough to see how things are?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would some kind of heater work for you next time to prevent things from freezing up so badly? And the cover deal also to keep the heat in there? You'd only have to use that set up when you knew the really cold weather was coming.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That stinks hope all your fish make it, know you got some money in there.

Had the lower clean out on the external bog on the smaller turtle pond crack this winter and had to shut it down. Could at least shut off valves to exclude it from the return until the weather warms up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh crap. What a nightmare something like this is to wake up to. I hope it all turns out OK in the end. You're lucky you can keep your hose running non stop. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation like that. Oof!
i keep a hose curled up in the basement along with a hose bib/ faucet ,

thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know you will figure it out. Crossing fingers and saying prayers that this was just a warning and an opportunity to improve things and won't turn out to be a full-blown disaster. When is your weather supposed to let up enough to see how things are?
40 TOMORROW but it will take close to w week of 40 to break up all the ice we will see.

Thanks, I could see the fish as I had the return jets still running leaving an opening in the ice. With the 2" feed line being down and frozen, the main drain got all the draw. It seems one of the small stubby butterfly ogons even with the drain covered with mellon sized rocks on the aquablock matt he still got stuck by the suction and is dead . But I did see most of my large koi and they looked fine. If anything they looked a bit lively considering the weather. But adding three hours of water through the hose with 2 hours between them . The probably 50 degree temps from the hose, has probably raised the temp of the pond but I doubt more than a couple degrees . The fish should be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Had the lower clean out on the external bog on the smaller turtle pond crack this winter and had to shut it down. Could at least shut off valves to exclude it from the return until the weather warms up.
Thanks, I could see the fish as I had the return jets still running leaving an opening in the ice. With the 2" feed line being down and frozen, the main drain got all the draw. It seems one of the small stubby butterfly ogons even with the drain covered with mellon sized rocks on the aquablock matt he still got stuck by the suction and is dead . But I did see most of my large koi and they looked fine. If anything they looked a bit lively considering the weather. But adding three hours of water through the hose with 2 hours between them . The probably 50 degree temps from the hose, has probably raised the temp of the pond but I doubt more than a couple degrees . The fish should be fine.

@Jhn Glad you won your test . those tarapins were sweet.

Water level seems to be holding tonight is the test it will be a long night

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THANKS ME TOO.
That's why this is as large as it is . to discus what unforeseen what can happen and how we tackle them, what worked and what may not have. I'll know more in the morning IT MAY HIT 50 TOMORROW .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a bummer @GBBUDD I hope all are ok!

At least my disaster was only a hot tub with 9 fan tails in it. All the fish survived the yank and dump we did when we tossed them into a stock tank. I was surprised they made it. Darn cold work. Our tank died during the 2F we had over Christmas. It is now in pieces waiting for a dumpster haul out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@GBBUDD - I hope today brings some encouraging news for you! I know you won't thaw out completely - but hopefully enough to make a difference or at least see that things will be OK!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a bummer @GBBUDD I hope all are ok!

At least my disaster was only a hot tub with 9 fan tails in it. All the fish survived the yank and dump we did when we tossed them into a stock tank. I was surprised they made it. Darn cold work. Our tank died during the 2F we had over Christmas. It is now in pieces waiting for a dumpster haul out.
@GBBUDD - I hope today brings some encouraging news for you! I know you won't thaw out completely - but hopefully enough to make a difference or at least see that things will be OK!
Hang in there, warmer temps coming!
Would some kind of heater work for you next time to prevent things from freezing up so badly? And the cover deal also to keep the heat in there? You'd only have to use that set up when you knew the really cold weather was coming.
THANKS EVERYONE, fish are fine for now water is flowing and the level of the pond held over night the casket over the main falls seems to have worked. The 2" supply line to the pump from the negative edge is still a block of ice, as is the cistern. So if those do fail and have split . I have one ball valve that's still frozen that i may need to replace. Lesson learned and the great freeze of 23 is hopefully over.

Ask a Question