Keeping pond running all winter

Reaction score
Addy, do you mind my asking what brand and size aerator you use? I suppose using a heater along with the aerator is just redundancy. In scuba diving we use redundant systems so I guess it wouldn't hurt in ponding!! Thanks to all who responded!! Like I said this is my first winter and I'm constantly learning something new:).

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Last winter I had good results and i'm in the coldest region then anyone whom posted in this topic. I'm doing the same this year. Airpump and micro bubble airstone 1 ft from the surface. One 1500 watt bottom heater to keep temps at 39 F. pond is 4 ft deep.

Reaction score
waynefrcan said:
Last winter I had good results and i'm in the coldest region then anyone whom posted in this topic. I'm doing the same this year. Airpump and micro bubble airstone 1 ft from the surface. One 1500 watt bottom heater to keep temps at 39 F. pond is 4 ft deep.
Now Wayne, don`t be a bragger. :nono:

But seriously, a 1500 watt heater??? You must have felt that on the electric bill. How deep did the ice get on your pond?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yup Mucky, you should remember we did about a 100 posts on the topic last winter :biggrin:

I don't notice the power bill change much as in the summer I run 2] 5700gal/hr pumps that draw 450 watts each.

Reaction score
waynefrcan said:
Yup Mucky, you should remember we did about a 100 posts on the topic last winter :biggrin:

I don't notice the power bill change much as in the summer I run 2] 5700gal/hr pumps that draw 450 watts each.
Well the heater still has the potential to draw 600 more watts than the two pumps, but I guess you have a thermostat on it and have it set at 39 deg, or should I say around 4 deg C for us Canucks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cdsdave said:
Addy, do you mind my asking what brand and size aerator you use? I suppose using a heater along with the aerator is just redundancy. In scuba diving we use redundant systems so I guess it wouldn't hurt in ponding!! Thanks to all who responded!! Like I said this is my first winter and I'm constantly learning something new:).
I have a ap100, powerful enough to split the air flow to three different ponds. http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/Pondmaster-Air-Pumps/Pondmaster-Air-Pump-AP-100-p-98.html

This is its third winter. I do not run it in the summer, have plenty of water flow going on. We are not cold enough, consistently, to worry about a heater. I do not have koi, gf our hardier, they probably would do fine with it freezing over. Just figured why take the chance.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I like that, whats a few extra dollars if it keeps the fishes nice and snug. Ok it's more then a few extra dollars lol!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
addy1 said:
I have a ap100, powerful enough to split the air flow to three different ponds. http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/Pondmaster-Air-Pumps/Pondmaster-Air-Pump-AP-100-p-98.html

This is its third winter. I do not run it in the summer, have plenty of water flow going on. We are not cold enough, consistently, to worry about a heater. I do not have koi, gf our hardier, they probably would do fine with it freezing over. Just figured why take the chance.
The Ap100 is awesome!! Any pondmaster in that series is reliable.

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what people think about leaving their pumps in the skimmer box..... or should I take it out and bring it inside for the winter in a bucket of water.... also what about water changes? I've never done a water change and the fish seem happy, but now with winter coming on fast, I'm starting to worry....

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No water changes? Water quality is probably no good for a long winter nap.

Lots of reading here for you at this forum.

Fast answer & solutions.

Test water
Do a water change
Remove pump from skimmer
Add aeration and/or de-icer

Depends alot on winter conditions. Generally if cold and long winters take pump out. Some people run skimmers all year.

Lots of reading and opinions at this forum. Good Luck with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it just because its winter that we as fish keepers think we can take time off when in reality we cant .
Winter is a dangrous tme for fish anything bellow 2c and they are in danger of dying yet we are talking o switching this off or that off when in reality they should be kept working .
We as you already know have the mentality of if it doesnt move Lagg it which we already have lol.
The only thing on our pond turned down if the bottom drain bubbler .
Prior to winter we did filter cleans ready for the months ahead so now its all down to our vortex until the weekend when that gets routinely done.
We still go ahead with our 3-40% water changes all be it at a reduced rate in what we call the trickle method.
This is where the water is slowly trickled back into the pond using the ambiant temperature of the water to warm this trickle up .
If done correctly you can loss only .8c -1c in temperature which in reality to water temperature, both are nothing.
So you see naintenance can still be done even at the lower temperatures and as I have said if done correctly it wont effect your fish in anyway and make them all the more stronger to get through.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Im a little north of you. My pond is not as big as your and slopes down to about 2.5 feet deep. My first pond i built above ground about 2ft tall out of cinder block just to get a feel for location etc. I brought the fish inside for the winter and left the pond uncovered. it froze about 9 inches deep. I know because I cut into it with a chainsaw and made a pretty cool ice sculpture. The freeze was solid enough that it pushed the blocks around more than I thought it would.

But what I haven't seen mentioned here much is that wind plays a large part in surface freezing. I turned off my pumps. Pull the airstone about 4 inches from the top and cover with that clear pvc roofing stuff from hardware store. No heater. Last year it did not freeze but it was a pretty mild winter. Yours looks small enough where you could still use this method. Many peoples pond here are far to big to cover. Other people have pictures of their covering if you search thats how I built mine.

Ask a Question