How has the economy affected your pond keeping efforts?

Reaction score
Am curious to hear from y'all as to how the crummy economy has affected your pond/fish hobby?

Did you cut back anywhere or not?
Did it change the way you dealt with your mechanicals--for example, DIY'ing something versus going out and buying it?
Did it stop you from buying a particular fish you wanted or maybe you went for a cheaper/smaller one?
Are you putting off doing something because money is tight?

Looking forward to your responses on how you've adapted your passion for ponding because of the economy.

Reaction score
I have other hobbies that are more expensive so I found working on my ponds was cheaper and a good way to extend my aquarium hobby outdoors and I had a goal to get rid of all grass in the backyard, tired of mowing grass. Digging holes with a shovel was my own cheap labour.

Just got the electric bill and it's about the same as this time last year so the hydro isn't an issue. I'm delaying some spending on the pond until next year as winter is coming and I won't enjoy my efforts. Next project is backyard ice rink 20' x 20'.

Reaction score
As I am a cheapskate by nature:D and a DIYer, I probably wouldn't have done anything any different had the economy been any different. However, as I've stated in another thread, if my FIL hadn't given me the rocks from a pile on his property, I probably wouldn't have done it.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm DIY'er myself, and now that questions been asked I have found that the economy hasn't effected my pond at all. Short of rebuilding or explanding my 365 gallon pond, I'm at a point where little has to be done to maintain, and keep up my pond.

Even if I was to start from scratch with a new pond, I think I could still keep the cost down by doing it myself, and shopping around for the equipment I would need.

Ask a Question