Keeping pond running all winter

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good choice. Since it doesn't come with hose, I would also recommend to buy a better air diffuser stone for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Any one ever hear of aquatop pond pumps .I saw them on amazon .com 2377 gph uses 95 watts and 149.99 32 ft power cord and says max head height 11 ft 10 inches .they have several gph sizes .

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I bought a micro air diffuser that puts more oxygen into the water. I will try and find a similar item for you as I bought it locally and not online. Maybe the plastic one that comes with it will do the job, but I was told to upgrade it.

Reaction score
Wayne I use something similar to that but mine is only 7 inches and it works great for my pond. I have to pull it up to a couple inches from the top of my pond cause if its deeper it cools my pond off to much. When it gets really cold the pond will freeze over but I still have about a three foot area that is open. :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes they are great for micro bubbles and good quality made. Last year from advice on this forum I put it 1 ft from the surface next to the 4' deep end. The bottom stayed warmer and still got enough O2.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
'm running 2 12" ones with the Ap 100 for a 6500g pond, smaller ponds setups with lower air flo like Ap 60 probably can use just a 7" like MT is using.

Reaction score
Ended up using the included diffuser with ten ft of tubing attached to a 2in PVC pipe. Housed the AP in a Rubbermaid tub with a couple pieces of treated lumber under the unit to help prevent flooding it if any water gets inside. Cut 1in holes around the top for air flow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 304

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Would have been better with the holes in the side of the tote so water does not collect on the top and ruin your air pump by running into the tote .

Reaction score
Sissy, the holes are in the side of the tote. They are up high so that the lip of the lid acts as an awning. I didn't want the holes lower where the unit would be right next to them. This way if we get any snow they should be high enough to handle the amounts we get.

Ask a Question