j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was just wondering what would happen if you all decide to go out to dinner or something and leave the dog in the back yard..............yikes, I think you would have to say something! That dog could do extreme damage while you were all gone! How about some pieces of spare pokey cactus placed in the right spots while he visits? Just small pieces so the FIL's friend doesn't see it. Oh I'm bad!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would put up a low shock the heck of ya fence because you had a problem with coons
And you forgot about the dog coming, it will learn him

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Some really good ones. I may go with one of the suggestions in the first reply or the electric fence.

I feel bad for the dog. Australian Shepherds are normally great dogs and it is not this dogs fault that he is over fed people food and has not been taught how to be a good dog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Electric fence, wet the ground, the dog won't do it again. They learn very fast. I had a problem with a dog, it got shocked once, never went near the wire again, in fact walked around any wire it saw.

Reaction score
Pecan is this subtle enough?

Attachments

• stock-vector-set-of-typical-danger-and-caution-warning-symbols-23064559.jpg
    stock-vector-set-of-typical-danger-and-caution-warning-symbols-23064559.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 202

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
squirt gun with water in it works if not to amuse him but scare him if that doesn't work on the dog use it on his owner .Better yet put alcohol in it and make them both drunk they will remember nothing after awhile

Reaction score
I'd start with "get your F'in dog out of my F'in yard". Normally that's enough. I generally never have to see the people again. Sometimes there's a follow up like if they want to come over again I say "great, but leave that F'in dog home". One family I did this with actually were OKish with me speaking direct. We've been close friends for years, but they still can't bring their F'in dogs. To be actual friends I think communication is important. I do have to put up with the dogs when at their homes, and bite my tongue. I'm not a complete ass.

Life is short. Why waste it on rude people? There's 7 billion of us, be picky.

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
my parents have a dog that i'm pretty sure they love more than me....

my wife likes dogs, but NOT in the house. she grew up on a farm, and there animals lived outside with no exceptions.

right after we got married my parents wanted to come visit, and they said they were bringing the dog. wife told them they were more than welcome, but the dog wasn't.

parents got a bit miffed, but they soon got over it. they also developed a respect for my wife which soon became mutual, and the dog issue wasn't a problem anymore. i'm sure a lot of other potential issues were also avoided as well through the years since this situation developed some boundries.

tell 'em he's a lovely dog, but also tell them he needs to keep his furry butt away from your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like DrCase's idea. We have an 11 month old Aussie who ran across the road a couple of months ago. I bought a wireless shock collar and it took one shock to keep her in the yard, she won't go past her boundary even when I forget to put the collar on her, lol. It's sad they haven't trained their dog. They are too big and too full of energy to be allowed to do whatever they want to do.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm with Jerry and Waterbug on this one; set boundaries and set them NOW!! Either leave the dog at a kennel, or get a dog crate for it to stay in while at your place. If they don't like it, they can visit elsewhere. I guess I'm getting too old to beat around the bush.... I just don't have that much time left! And tell them how long it took to repair the place after their last visit.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Putting things around the area won't work if this dog has a stubborn temperament. My german shepherd practically laughed at us when we used ammonia, vinegar or lemon juice for training when he was a pup. Seriously, we were trying to deter him from excessive barking and the dog trainers told us to squirt him in the face. Yeah, his whole head was soaked and he still just kept right on barking. He is terrible about marking his territory outside and trampling everything, so I wanted him away from the pond too. Those little metal garden gates didn't work at first, then hubby attached them to wood stakes to make them stronger and that kept him out till we got the underground fence. Now the fence works, but only as long as he isn't really set on going past the line. If my husband is on the other side, or his ball, he's going over there, and no shock in the world is going to stop him. But for the most part it is working. I bought mine online from DHGate.com it was only $80 for the complete system with 2 collars for 2 dogs. Its like an Ebay for wholesale stuff and there were several on there with just one collar that were in the $50 range. You just have to go through the listings till you find one with no minimum order. I would not invest in a $200 system for a dog that visits twice a year. I would then make it clear under no uncertain terms that if she brings her dog to visit the collar goes on and stays on or the dog goes to a kennel.

My sister moved in with us last spring for a few months and brought her dog. Same thing, she thought her dog was a saint despite the fact that it was using my house as it's personal bathroom, digging holes all over my yard, chewing up the kids' toys, and then the last straw was when it tore up my custom fit patio cushions. She thought I was a monster when I told her the dog couldn't live here anymore. And then this year when I had to fork over $200 in new cushions, do you think she pitched in? Nope. She even had the audacity to try to say that I had no proof it was her dog over my own! My dogs who are 7 and 5, have been to obedience school, have never chewed up a single thing or ever relieved themselves in my house (with the exception of Sebastian when we learned he has a sensitive stomach and couldn't eat regular dog food). And she still throws it in my face from time to time that I made her get rid of her beloved dog.

Part of being a responsible pet owner is making sure your pets don't damage other people's property. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to lay down the rules when it comes to your FIL's girlfriend!! And your FIL should have enough respect for you and your husband to back you up as well.

Reaction score
i have 2 sons both with dogs. both live far away. (9 hours and 5 hours)
1 son is allowed to bring his dog.
the other is NOT allowed to ever bring his dog again.

plain and simple, board em or crate em and walk the dog for potty breaks or dont bother coming.

its your home, ask your hubby to grow, err, i mean get bold and stand up for you.
IF your Dad cant respect your wishes then what relationship are you trying to protect?

and FYI i have 2 dogs both behave in my yard.

Ask a Question