j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I remember talking about this before and I could just plug it into and outlet that hubby put by my pond and the hose somehow hooks up to it and that's it eh? If its that easy I can go for that idea! Where did you get yours addy?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The electric one, I picked up from lowes, just a electric sprinkler timer. Think it is orbit, too lazy to go downstairs and check. I will be setting it up again soon, it waters my garden, the planted pots on the deck and the pond. so far as worked great, it is also fail safe or so they say, it will shut if the timer fails i.e. no water will flow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is a orbitz, 4 station electric timer. Pretty cheap, think around 19 or so. The solenoids were not that much either. It has a battery back up, in case your electric goes off keeps the settings.

I plumbed it with pvc, then put hose thread attachments to the pvc to be able to use garden hoses for the sprinkler lines. Best way so no worries about pipes freezing. I just pull it in for the winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok so I'm not familiar w/ this electrical stuff. So you don't just plug this in and attach a hose to it and then it works? You need to buy solenoids also? In other words I don't get it. I thought it was something easy you could just do in a minute like the battery ones only w/ electricity. Darn not sure about his one. You have a picture of your setup? Or somewhere to go on the web to see it?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is sitting on the desk in the basement. The solenoids are the green things. The whole thing cost around 45-50 dollars (if I recall right)

DSC03116.jpg

It is more for a sprinkler set up. After I had two battery operated ones fail, honey got nervous about running them when we were not home.

It is very easy to set up, one wire from each solenoid into the timer, black, the white wire is common. Just set the stations to come on when you want them to and for how long.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez I don't think I need that great of a setup for my pond. Don't they just make and electric timer that you can plug into an outlet and hook a garden hose up to it w/o all the pvc stuff?

Reaction score
I thought it was something easy you could just do in a minute like the battery ones only w/ electricity. Darn not sure about his one. You have a picture of your setup? Or somewhere to go on the web to see it?
Sure you can use the battery operated for automatic on/off cycles or mechanical timers you set once per watering like an egg timer. Results are the same. More of a convenience choice I think.
41oXYfjkYVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41JAx9Y8d2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not that I could find jw. We went to the electric because two different battery operated timers failed on us, both with fresh batteries, both failed in the open mode, ie running full blast. We can't take that chance with the well and have water turn on and stay on, while we are out of town. Neither of the battery ones were cheap.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well darn guess I'll just have to use the battery ones and hope they don't go dead and leave the water running. I have neighbors that can check each day to see if it is on and they could just turn it off and then fill for me till we get home. I've never had the ones I have die on me w/ fresh batteries installed over the whole summer w/ a sprinkler here and there set to go off once each week.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me either jw, but when they did, it was bothersome. Maybe it was just plain old bad luck, but honey got very nervous about leaving them working, so I swapped to a sprinkler set up.

They are supposed to have a fail safe in the off mode, these two failed in the on mode, go figure.

Reaction score
when i first had my pond i was worried that it would overflow, so i added a small piece of hose pipe about 2inch from the top of my pond as an over flow running onto the grass. this ensures no matter how much it rains or how much i top the pond up it will never overflow and my grass is always watered.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one low spot in the liner, covered with rocks to keep the fish from swimming out with the water. It works great as an overflow

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So sorry about your fish. :sad: I am putting a hose timer on my list. Not just for my pond but also for the watering trough for the cows. Sounds like it can be a great saver and not just money wise.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry about your fish. :sad: I am putting a hose timer on my list. Not just for my pond but also for the watering trough for the cows. Sounds like it can be a great saver and not just money wise.

It is so easy to forget a hose is running. I love timers.

Ask a Question