Killed most of my pond today...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well, a week and a half later, and my only remaining fish, an 8" shubunkin, is still alive and seems to be doing reasonably well. However, he doesn't really swim around much now and isn't eating much (though he is eating). I'm sure being injured from my screwup is to blame, but I wonder if being alone in the pond may also have something to do with it?

I was contemplating waiting to get new fish until I put in a new pond. However, the more I think about it, I really don't think I'll be putting in a new pond this year. I really don't have the time or money (at least to do it how I want it) to put one in this year.

So, how long should I wait to get new fish? I've been checking the water, and all the readings are good. I never saw an ammonia or nitrite rise after my accident. Maybe my bacteria in the biofilter didn't die and need to cycle again? Or maybe only having one fish in a 400 gallon pond isn't producing enough waste to see a rise in ammonia then nitrite when cycling?

Reaction score
Maybe my bacteria in the biofilter didn't die and need to cycle again?
It's pretty hard to kill "all" bacteria. If you did have a large colony it would be a small colony now. Some people might word it like "you killed the bio filter" but some bacteria remain.

Or maybe only having one fish in a 400 gallon pond isn't producing enough waste to see a rise in ammonia then nitrite when cycling?
Bingo. If you're measuring zero ammonia you're fully cycled. Even if there's no bio filter. Of course if you add more fish you go from being fully cycled to ramping up again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add some little buddies for him, probably lonely. You should be fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I added six more shubunkin goldfish to the pond. They're all small; in the 1-2" range. Since adding them, my larger shubunkin seems back to his old self again. He's swimming with the other fish and is eating quite ferociously.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad to hear and he is a happy camper now that he has friends .I went to ollies not sure you have a store there but they had a lot of becket stuff from home depot

Reaction score
ho :( not cool accident at all. really really sorry.... :(

I wouldn't have thought it could go so fast. your tap water must really be bad.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I added six more shubunkin goldfish to the pond. They're all small; in the 1-2" range. Since adding them, my larger shubunkin seems back to his old self again. He's swimming with the other fish and is eating quite ferociously.
He was probably just lonely. Fish like to be with lots of other fish.

Ask a Question