kitchen redo...........good winter project!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is called cabinets to go. http://www.cabinetstogo.com/kitchen_cabinets.asp

A friend in florida used them to redo their kitchen and were telling us about the install They were really pleased with quality. All dove tails, all wood,
No damaged ones.

We have one of their stores, here in frederick, so ordered them, after going in and checking them out.
They are made of birch with a mahogany stain. They also had cherry and other choices. I just loved the grains in the mahogany.
They also have the soft close drawers, little shock absorbers so they don't slam. You just push them almost closed and the little things draw them in the rest of the way.

They are built a lot better than the standard ones you can buy from home depot/lowes

Just make sure the first one you put together is not a lazy susan corner unit.......like I did, took awhile..........
pick a smaller one to learn the screws and general method of putting together.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Very nice. I am jealous you are done so quick. My son and i started the kitchen in the fall and with all the overtime he has put in at work we aren't quite done yet. The pantry cabinet needs to be completed and doors made, the trim finished and the floors refinished and we will be there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am jealous you are done so quick.
Well we have an advantage, both retired now and this is our 9th kitchen redo. We have had lots of practice.
The one redo took us around a year, with that one we took down walls, etc. Worked on it whenever we flew down to see his parents.

Thanks for all the kind words you all! I love it!
Still little things to do, but the bulk is done. We have a real cold spell happening, so we will be staying in. We will be in the teens during the day or low 20's, single digit to minus nights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is called cabinets to go. http://www.cabinetstogo.com/kitchen_cabinets.asp

A friend in florida used them to redo their kitchen and were telling us about the install They were really pleased with quality. All dove tails, all wood,
No damaged ones.

We have one of their stores, here in frederick, so ordered them, after going in and checking them out.
They are made of birch with a mahogany stain. They also had cherry and other choices. I just loved the grains in the mahogany.
They also have the soft close drawers, little shock absorbers so they don't slam. You just push them almost closed and the little things draw them in the rest of the way.

They are built a lot better than the standard ones you can buy from home depot/lowes

Just make sure the first one you put together is not a lazy susan corner unit.......like I did, took awhile..........
pick a smaller one to learn the screws and general method of putting together.
Thanks! Good to hear a positive review!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They come with those (not sure of name) connectors that lock each piece to the other with just the turn of a screw driver. Small angle braces to lock down the top and bottom, simple phillips screws. And the plastic corner braces. All drawer rails have pre-drilled holes they fit in, just a few screws to install them.. So really simple once you do one.

I put all the cabinets together, while honey took the kitchen apart. We put a piece of wood up on the wall to rest the upper cabinets on so I could hold them up in place while he screwed them in. (there is a top and bottom, so make sure you pay attention to that, slight more space at the top from the door to the edge of the cabinet, we figured it out after hanging one wrong next to one hung right lol) Doors are reversible, don't drill the knobs holes until you know which way you want them to open.
They send screws to hang them with, we found it is best to do a predrill so you don't strip the screw head.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
looks great!! I love having big spaces in the kitchen.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like totally open floor plans, bathrooms need walls.........well so do bedrooms

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow Addy- Love the new kitchen! What brand of stove did you get? I got what I thought would be my dream stove ( Kenmore) and I hate it! Would love to have all the windows with a view as we only have a tiny window over the sink. We swapped out the slider doors for French doors opening out to the 15x20 deck. I wish I felt more comfortable doing some projects as we paid a fortune for custom cabinets and granite. I did finally get a kitchen floor I love. Wanted tile but got the synthetic version, so much warmer! Great job!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! Luckily the tile I put in 5 years ago maybe 6 matched the new colors perfectly and still in great shape. We did pull it off the walls as the layouts did not match, but love the new tile I put up. Looks stone like, and discontinued and on sale!
We have done so many kitchens we know our limits. I have installed granite with other hubby, not this stuff, it is 20lbs a square foot. The island was over 600 lbs. So we paid for the install of the granite, and they did such a beautiful job.

What brand of stove did you get?

I researched it as much as you can via the net, consumers reports, amazon etc etc. It is rated well. We saw it in a store I just loved the idea of induction cooking. And it works well for our island.

I bought it on line, took a little to get here with the storms up north. But saved a bunch of bucks, like 900 or so.

Ge phs920sfss, Slide in range.

DSC07751.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/PHS920SFSS-Stainless-Electric-Slide-In-Induction/dp/B00F396J80?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00F396J80

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's pretty one and no knobs to clean!
Just have to watch leaning over it. The touch is very sensitive. But it won't heat up unless you are magnetic.
You can lock the display if need be, esp to wipe it off

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool, space age technology. Maybe by the time I need a new one it will cook everything by itself, pick out recipes and just whip it up for me. All I will have to do is lift and eat :smuggrin:

Ask a Question