kitchen redo...........good winter project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
we took 10 foot section out of a load bearing wall. We ended up with a 14 foot steel I beam that is now holding up the second floor. It was interesting cribbing the house for support until the beam was in. This opened the kitchen up so I can see the whole back yard and pond. Maybe it is good that it is taking so long to get done though, I can adapt to the changes slowly. lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We did the same with our back wall, took out two sliding doors and 22 feet of outside wall. Put in a steel beam to hold the roof up. That gave us the 33 feet of windows in our living room, that now I can see from the stove in the kitchen. With our slope we do look out at tree tops and the fields, until you are in the living room and can look down. in the summer I can watch the fish swimming around from the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I don't have the slope you do but can see the pond, stream and waterfall from the kitchen. :)I love to be able to see out.
We changed the layout of the kitchen a bit and to do that ductwork was rerouted, doorways closed off, other walls opened. I was going to install new tile on the stairs and when painting trim saw a sliver of oak showing. The new project for the weekend is stripping the three layers of vinyl flooring and adhesive off the wood so I can stain and finish them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! Real oak stairs, that will look great when you are done.
I wouldn't mind less of a slope, it would be fun to see our yards ground from the kitchen, but it is what it is lol. Makes a great stream bed!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! I am still putting stuff away, now can't remember which cabinet it went into................and still empty shelves just love it!

Making a turkey and french onion soup on this cold snow coming day............. trying out the new oven, convection, need to read up on how it affects cooking time. It does have a probe for temp, might put that in so the oven stops when the turkey is done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love the color of granite with the color of cabinets. Not to colors I would have thought about pairing but you put them together and SNAP! They look great!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The buttons in front are handicap compatible :),but shame it does not come with a double oven under it .Reason I wanted a double oven was because I don't really need a big oven ..One of mine is convection and the other one is regular oven .I wonder if they make it with a double oven .I bake a lot but only for 2 people .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can I hire your and your honey?
Sure we work free on rentals.............. have gotten a ton of experience putting them back together.

We enjoy the work, love the change you see when done.
I love the color of granite with the color of cabinets.

We had a piece of the cabinets, a piece of the tile floor, just held them up to samples of granite until we found one we liked. We loved the flow of the pattern. The granite has some of the colors of the floor and cabinets. The white stone type tile gives a nice eye color break.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, Really nice job with your kitchen. I'm amazed how fast you were able to do it and the whole job came out very professionally looking. We do rehab here in Chicago but......never put cabinets together for people anymore. Too many problems with missing parts etc taking up our time. Last one we did like that our customer hired taskrabbit.The guy came in and put Ikea cabinets together and we did the rest. Still lots of problems like the manufacturer wanted us to use toe kick as fillers but it came out nice in the end and our customer was happy. I guess I'm spoiled. My supplier comes to the job, measures, does the layout and makes changes according to what the customer wants, delivers them and carries them into the kitchen, and comes out and fixes anything that was damaged or needs replacement!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We did it all except make them, I measured the room, drew it out on graph paper, The cabinet store decided what sizes would work, I told them what I wanted ie the lazy susan, the corner upper cabinets, the island, where the appliances would be etc.

They have actual filler pieces, small or crown molding if you want it, we are putting up small molding did not want to drop the cabinets far enough for crown. So except for making them we were the supplier, installer, ripper outer, lol pick up the boxes from the store front, hauled them into the house, all they did was order them. The worse part hauling all the empty boxes down to the recycle at the end of our long drive.

None were damaged, no issues there. I am impressed with cabinets to go.

Now the granite, they measured cut and installed and installed the bottom mount sink.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@mrsclem The stove is impressing me, boils water darn fast, put it on power boil it is bubbling within a few minutes, I have not timed it, but way faster than my other stove. Cooked a turkey and his fav sour cream pound cake, both cooked perfectly, and faster. First oven I have had that the temp was perfect, set it at 300 it was 300.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, what was the price comparison on the cabinets .... you put together vs. same thing already put together? Just wondering the percent of savings by you putting them together yourself. I love putting small pieces of furniture together (end tables, book shelves, etc.) so I could see me doing that if it was a significant savings. Or, maybe it had not as much to do with money savings, but rather with quality and type and what you wanted!

Ask a Question