Koi Adoption

Reaction score
Hi All, I may have the opportunity to adopt a poor koi that has been sequestered for years by itself in a 'pond' created froman old 10' satellite dish...yeah, I know, pretty pathetic huh? It's located at a friends parents house where they have become to elderly to care for it, if they are at all, and he'd like to rescue the fish and give it to a good home.

It's my understanding that the fish is about 28" in length which might be too big for my pond and I am also concerned about introducing someone new to my pond that might have diseases and stuff. I'll adopt it if I can but I may need to find someone in the Willamette Valley of Oregon to adopt it if they have a good home.

My questions to the forum are;

What is the best way to capture and transport the fish? I understand that this can be quite dicey with something so big. I can't wait until it starts slowing down for the winter, with sometime next month being the schedule I must adhere to.

Are there any members here that might be interested in adopting the fish if I determine it is too large for my pond? I could pick it up and deliver it if you have a home. It's now near Salem.

Perhaps I am being too sensitive but I feel so sorry for this fish upon finding out about its solitary plight over the years. It deserves a better a life and I want to help it in any way I can. Call me silly, but that's the way it is.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a large ice chest to transport larger Koi. It has a lid so when it is closed, it is dark and the fish is not so scared during transport and cannot jump out.
As for catching it, 2 nets can be used to corral it and lift it out. Patience and no sudden moves also helps.
I also take a pump with me to partially drain the water which also helps.

Reaction score
DrD, I heard that the koi can die on you pretty easily. Is this true? I was thinking that since they are a carp you'd nearly need to run a train over them to kill one.

How long should I sequester it from the others if I adopt it? And what would I keep it in during this period? What am I looking for with diseases?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I can't answer on things that have not happened, I'm not psychic.
As for abuse and longivity, treat them as well you can and hope for the best.

Koi are pretty hardy, but I wouldn't use that as an excuse to abuse them. I treat every fish as gently as possible and observe them for any anomolies the act accordingly.

QT as long as you think it is necessary. Observe and act accordingly.

Your question is really obscure.

Reaction score
not trying to be obscure...and I'm certainly not advocating animal abuse, geez, read my first post in this thread. All I'm saying is that carp are a pretty hardy fish and I would not expect a koi to go belly up with normal and protective handling during capture and transport. I've heard otherwise from several other people though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Really a koi that size should never be lifted with a net. What I do (takes a couple of people) is corral it by moving very slowly with a net to a partially filled fish bag( bag big enough to lift with out bending fish) Always keep the bag horizontal.
There should just enough water in the bag to cover the gills. Trap as much air in the bag as possible, twist the on end and then double it over and put a rubber band around it several times to make the rubber band tight. Lift it keeping it and put it horizontal and put it in a box or cooler. You could also use a cooler but it must be long enough so that the fish can re main straight and cannot turn around.
Place it in your vehicle with the bag ends or cooler handles are toward the sides of the vehicle. This is so if you make a sudden stop you do not damage the face or break the tail of the fish.

Reaction score
Excellent advice DoDad, thank you. This was the kind of information I was looking for and I appreciate your input.

I still don't know what I'll do with it and must figure out possible alternatives before the move can be made.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question