Koi confiscation part of Maine’s effort to avoid potentially harmful species

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Timothy ,I would use a gig in a lined pond!

I don't know Smaug, now you're dealing with three barbed hooks. You can snag a fish with one leg, and still poke two holes in the liner. Of course, in the long run when all the water has leaked out one would get a "two-for". You'd certainly be able to catch the fish, and as a bonus have ready access to the holes. Win Win!:)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Interesting video @pecan , thanks for posting. Silly question, but are carp unfit for human consumption?

Carp are the leading product of freshwater aquaculture. It is extensively farmed in Southeast Asia and much of Europe as a food fish. As an example, production of carp in India alone for 2010 was over 4 million tons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Carp are the leading product of freshwater aquaculture. It is extensively farmed in Southeast Asia and much of Europe as a food fish. As an example, production of carp in India alone for 2010 was over 4 million tons.

I was curious why the captured carp wasn't used for food, pet, or human.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Utah lake, the largest fresh water lake in Utah is filled to the brim with carp, comets and Koi. They have completely destroyed the natural echo system. destroying the vegetation that filtered the water and provided a home for native fry. The lake is a cesspool and the funny thing is to was caused by the federal government. Because they always know whats best right?

During the depression they "Seeded" bodies of water throughout the US with carp to provide a source of food for locals down on their luck. It back fired and destroyed the habitat in many water ways throughout the US.

There has been a clean up effort of Utah lake since 2010 I beleive with a target date of 2017 to be complete. The clean up effort involves fisherman with nets puling thousands of carp out of the lake daily. I have watched in person and you actually see some nice koi in the mix.

Here is a video about the efforts.

Does this include Asian Carp?
I've heard that they're a bony fish, difficult to eat.
Some people say the Asian Carp tastes like cod, which would be a good thing especially after the collapse of the cod industry on the east coast.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the U.S.A. Tula.
And carp taste like mud . Forget all the down home recipes and 3 day soaks to make it edible,if it takes that much effort it's not worth eating. Yes,I've tried it,it's disgusting. When we used to bow fish for them in a wholesale fashion we would sometimes bring them home and put them in my friends big garden. More often then not we would just kill them then punch a hole in their airbladder and sink them for the turtles to enjoy. Turtles love dead carp.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Interesting video @pecan , thanks for posting. Silly question, but are carp unfit for human consumption?
As a child there was this one spot where the carp would get 7+ lbs. But the only way to catch one was with a three prong hook on the reel up. They would fight incredibly hard when hooked. We did keep one because there was an Asian neighbor that knew a recipe for carp and said he was interested in one. I guess the meat is fine, it's a matter of getting to it, some say it's impossible to remove all the bones.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try this recipe Peter.

Get a clean pine board about 8" x 15" x 1" thick.
Take a nice size freshly caught carp and lay it on the board. Skin and Filet the carp into 2 thick strips. Do not spend much time deboning. The bone gives it more flavors.
Salt and oil the board generously with virgin olive oil.
Next lay the filets out evenly on the board.
Salt, and pepper both sides. I like to use sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Now spread a generous amount of garlic butter and a lot of garlic salt on both sides.
Tabasco sauce and a little Ripple helps take out the fishy taste.
Add sliced and diced onions, green or red peppers, thinly slice mushrooms and tomatoes.
Sprinkle on a little parsley
Now take a fresh cut lemon and carefully squeeze out all the juice onto the carp and pine board.
Now is the time to add any other of your favorite ingredients.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Now take the pine board with the filets and put it in your preheated oven.
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
When done carefully take the pine board and the carp out of the oven.
Throw the carp away and eat the board.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder why the goal isn't complete eradication of the koi - won't the same thing happen again if they leave 25% of the current population intact?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder why the goal isn't complete eradication of the koi - won't the same thing happen again if they leave 25% of the current population intact?

I thought the same thing. I guess they figure cutting the population down that far will allow the natural species to take over and keep the carp population in check.

Sad thing is, its a huge fresh water lake near the most populated area of the state that no one really uses for anything because it is in such bad shape. One would think it would be a greatly used recreational area, but if you mention even touching the water locals look at you like you've contracted some sort of desease. I know I have swam in it LOL

It would be nice if it was cleaned up and could be used.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure that arbitrary number is what some egg head scientist told them was sustainable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I mean - I doubt anyone added millions of pounds of koi all at knee. I would say total removal needs to be the goal or they will be at it forever... Oh, wait. Could it be... ;)

Ask a Question