Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Sadly, no one knows.
What is presently known about this viral infection is that there are currently over a dozen different strains with varying mortality rates and that those fish that do not succumb to this disease become symptom-free carriers..This makes this disease extremely hard to detect and thus facilitating its spread globally. The danger level has risen high enough to where many U.S. breeders no longer import brood stock from Japan or other countries opting instead to restrict their stock to domestically bred fish.
I suspect that many present day instances of fish loss.om Garden Ponds could be traced to this virus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't get it! The article says that it first appeared in Wisconsin, so it's already in the US, why cutting off imports?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not really a very good case of reporting anyway. t
I don't get it! The article says that it first appeared in Wisconsin, so it's already in the US, why cutting off imports?

I states to use gloves when handling infected trout. KHV (CyHv3) does not infect trout.
The U.S. is not cutting off imports, only the larger established hatcheries. They are attempting to minimize selling any infected fish. Interestingly, because Carp is a major Aquaculture species everywhere except in the U.S., KHV (CyHv3) is a 'reportable disease. Reportable everywhere except in the U.S.
This article is about wild stock fish. They would have no contact with those fish sold in the Ornamental Fish industry.

Ask a Question