Koi leaping

Reaction score
We've owned a pond for ten years. 6000 gallons. Sixteen koi, the largest of which is more than 20".

Something new is happening this year. At least once every 30 minutes, particularly in the late afternoon, one of the large koi leaps vertically to the point where his body is out of the water.

Why do koi get the urge to do this?

It sure is entertaining.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of the time koi (any fish, really) will do this if there is something bothering them, such as a water issue or parasites. Do you keep track of your water parameters?

Reaction score
Most of the time koi (any fish, really) will do this if there is something bothering them, such as a water issue or parasites. Do you keep track of your water parameters?
Yes. Matter of fact, Monday is the day I do maintenance and check the water chemistry. Seven tests from pH to KG gave normal results.
Parasites are another matter. We'll take a close look at the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gets some koi clay as koi gets lots of minerals they need from it and it clouds the water and sends most stuff that you don't want to the filter .I have had mine jump during aggressive spawning .I have had them jump up and try to catch a bird in the waterfall .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi have jumped from time to time, but not regularly. If these were my fish, I'd observe them closely, inspecting for any sores etc. on their bodies. Parasites can cause secondary infections where they enter the body. It may be nothing, or it could be something is bothering them.

Ask a Question