Koi need help with a flesh eating infection

PFD

Reaction score
Four of my koi are showing signs of some type of flesh eating disease.

Two have a hole in their side (Doitsu); two have it on the lips (standard scaled koi). The smallest of the group died (both lips were eaten away)

The 3 living patients were removed from the pond and put into a 135 gallon hospital tank, then into smaller 20 and 25 gallon tanks.

I have been treating them daily with Oxolium for 3+- weeks. One shows some improvement (smallest koi – 8”), one looks the same (medium – 10”), but the largest – 12” had actually gotten worse.

I performed 50%-60% water changes every 3 days+- on the quarantine tanks (then added new medicine and salt)

During treatment I raised the salt level to 4ppt +-

I have an 800-900 gallon pond made of stainless steel. Filters are a Laguna Bio falls 5000 fed by a Laguna Max Flo 2400 pump (on bottom of pond). I also have a Laguna Pressure Flo 2100 uvc fed by a Pondmaster Supreme 1200 via a skimmer box. Both feed a waterfall.

I realize that I over filter the water, but was hoping over filtration would help avoid any problems like I'm experiencing now.

All water parameters (that I check) appear perfect. Ammonia and Nitrate are 0; Nitrates less than 40 ppm (frequent water changes with declorinators); PH is always near 7.6. The water is crystal clear. Temp is in the low 70’s (72-74 degrees F).

Any ideas how to get rid of this illness?

Can anyone recommend any other medications to try?

Thanks, Paul

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pics? Maybe someone might see something that might help point toward something more specific. can you locate someone maybe in a Koi club or Vet that could take a look at scraping from one of the fish undr a microscope?

Ask a Question