Koi pond advice. New to all this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use uv filters, just plants. In fact my only filter is plants. They keep the water crystal clear and I never have green water. If you could add a boggish type plant box, filter to your pond it would probably help a lot.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could you please elaborate a bit on “boggish type plant box”? I would totally do that. In fact once I’m done with this pond my next project is to add a bog garden somewhere. I’ve always wanted one of those. But that’s for another topic.

Reaction score
A "bog" (very loose term we use on the forum) is any filter that uses plants and gravel with an up flow to filter a pond. A bog can be as simple as a planter box that's plumbed for the water to flow into the bottom and get pushed up through gravel and plants where it flows back into the pond. These are designed to mimic what nature does with wetland filtration.

Lots of us here use bog filtration in various forms with great success.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it were mine this is what I would do:

The red box is a bog, water piped to flow into the bottom up through the pea gravel and plants, waterfall back into the pond. Dump the filter! But I have never used a "real" filter, all of my ponds have been filtered with a bog all different sizes.
bog.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow thanks. That looks good, I may have to try that. Shouldn't be too hard since most of the box is there. Would just need to remove the small platform in the middle, add some boards to the back and sides to finish the box and cut out a section for the waterfall. Regarding the plants, this area is screened up on top so it wouldn't get full sun, would that be a problem? How about using some carnivorous plants? I mentioned above I wanted to to a bog garden as well, this could fit that bill. Plants would include things like flytraps and trumpets. Do you only use pea gravel, and no soil?
---

Here are some pics of the back, showing what I have to work with. I think this will be a challenge, but will be well worth it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, sounds like a bog filter would fit your needs. Since you want a bog for plants anyway, why not use it to filter your pond?
Basically it's a 12" deep epdm lined area with slotted PVC pipes layed in the bottom. You pump your pond water through the pvc. It's all covered with 3/8" pea gravel. The water rises up through the gravel and returns to you pond via a spillway. You don't use any pots for your plants. The roots get planted directly into the pea gravel. The plants feed on the excess nutrients produced by your fish waste. This also helps prevent the growth of algae since the plants compete for the nutrients.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Someone had just posted a similar filter that was used look around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I"ve been reading these forums, and am seeing that my pump should be pulling 1.5 - 2 times the pond volume every hour. I initially read that wrong, and was under the impression that the pond should turn over every 1.5 - 2 hours. So, I got a 1056gph pump. Should I be returning it? If my pond is approx. 1500 gallons, I should be using a 3000gph pump at least. Maybe I should just build the bog and run that 8000 pump through it and see how it goes.

Feeling kind'a bad now. The filter I received was damaged, so the company is sending a new one which should be arriving later today. Now I gotta ask them if I can return that one for a refund, and for now I'm running 1000gph through a broken filter just to keep the water moving. And all the while my fish are swimming in pea soup. Also, that big ol' broken filter with the water spewing out of the hole ended up spraying enough water outside the pond so now the water level is wicked low. I have 120 gallons ready to put back in. It's from the hose, so it's been dechlorinating since yesterday evening. I'll be putting at least 60 gallons back in when I get home from work, so it would have been sitting for 24 hours first. Maybe add the other 60 tomorrow morning. After today I am off the next 10 days, so will have plenty of time to get this done. Those fish just need to hang on.

The rest of the family is advising me to "give up, and just get rid of the fish". :( :(

"If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The rest of the family is advising me to "give up, and just get rid of the fish"
Nah just a bump in the road.

My pond turns over about once every two hours. About! never gives me any issues in water quality, I do filter with a large bog and a ton of plants.

Per your bog, carnivorous plants will help but I would also put in things like water willow, blue forget me not, great root masses that stay shallow and filter great. Also they are small plants that would do well with the others. Carnivorous plants like wet then dry wet then dry.

I had some in my bog that did well for years but then I thing the other plants took over and they disappeared. I have a shallow land bog for them now, peat moss and sand, they are wet dry wet dry since I forget to water them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 pumps in my pond which is around 5000 gallons ,1 is 2100 gph and the other is 2900 gph 2 home made lava rock filters and one aerator that has 12 air ports and one airstone in each filter .I have koi and they need extra oxygen and produce a lot of fish waste

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, tomorrow I am starting the bog box. The prev homeowner left 3 prefabricated ponds, so I plan on using one of those. Thinking the one on the right is the best one for this. The one on left would fit nicely, but there isn't much room in the bottom part for the pipe, and if the fall was at the dip it seems most filtration would take place in the middle. The right prefab can take a longer pipe and would permeate the bog better. All I'd have to do is build a frame to set it in. Planning on feeding the pipe all the way through, and cap off the other end to use as a cleanout. Can seal the 2 holes with either caulk or silicone, not sure which would be better since it would be inside the garden. Or just seal it on the outside.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big is it? hard to tell with the pics.

You could just have the pipe come up and over the edge so you have no holes in the tub, less chance of a leak. I don't have any clean outs in mine, I can drain it, did it once to see if junk came out. Nope just clean water. So in 9 years have not cleaned it once.

If my pond area, I would dig down a bit like a foot or so, use the dirt to build up the edges, a berm, use a liner. Drop the edge of the liner a bit, put a nice flat rock there for the water fall. Have that edge over the pond edge a bit so any dribbles go right into the pond.

To me the bigger the better for bogs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is about 4ft x 3ft, 1.5ft deep. I dont have a lot of room to work with next to the pond. It is concrete, and on the other side of where the bog is going is the overflow puddle, also concrete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you want a min of a foot of gravel on top of water pipe and another 4 to 6" on top of the gravel so that when the plants grow and start to clog the bog your water doesn't leak over the sides. pic 3 looks more like the wider bottom giving you the deeper area for the bog

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes make sure you have extra room over the gravel as it settles as the plants grow as it filters well the water over the gravel can get deeper.
Mine, even though big, I had to raise the downslope edge by 4 inches. Over a few years the water over the gravel got deeper.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this piece. It's not too big; that thing in there the size of a brick. My plan was to cut out the fall part, cut a gash in the prefab and glue the fall piece in there so there would be a proper fall instead of just cut-out. But I would be unable to move it in that case. I could leave more of the fall intact, and just set it on rocks or something so it hangs over the edge of the prefab, then I could raise it as needed later on. Unless there is something better to do, but that's where I'm at so far. Got all my measurements and am about to head to Lowes to spend some money :/

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have this piece. It's not too big; that thing in there the size of a brick. My plan was to cut out the fall part, cut a gash in the prefab and glue the fall piece in there so there would be a proper fall instead of just cut-out. But I would be unable to move it in that case. I could leave more of the fall intact, and just set it on rocks or something so it hangs over the edge of the prefab, then I could raise it as needed later on. Unless there is something better to do, but that's where I'm at so far. Got all my measurements and am about to head to Lowes to spend some money :/
talk to your local koi dealer they must have epdm 45 mill build a box with pressure treated and line it make it any size you want the bigger the bog the better your pond will be able to handle what you throw at it . I have never seen anyone disappointed and say they built the bog to big and the water is too clear or not clear enough. but build to the minimum and overstock the pond and you will probably be rebuilding it down the road

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
talk to your local koi dealer they must have epdm 45 mill build a box with pressure treated and line it make it any size you want the bigger the bog the better your pond will be able to handle what you throw at it . I have never seen anyone disappointed and say they built the bog to big and the water is too clear or not clear enough. but build to the minimum and overstock the pond and you will probably be rebuilding it down the road
This is a good suggestion. Build it the size you want with PT lumber and cover with a liner.

It's suggested that the size of your bog be about 30% of the surface area of your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I should just build a box. I wasn't planning on using that small piece shown above as the bog, only for the waterfall. I was going to use the prefab below as the bog; it is 5 ft long and a little over 3 1/2 ft wide. I am limited on space because the pond is in the middle of a gazebo, is made from a concrete slab, and on the other side of the bog is the pond runoff puddle which is also concrete. But, if I just build my own box instead of using the prefab, I could probably add another 3 or 4 feet to the length, not so much more to the width though because I will already be covering half that runoff puddle as it is. Pic #2 shows what space I have to work with. End to end that space is 10ft 3in, and I gotta say in my head it looks much better just building a box using the entire space. With the prefab I will have space left on both ends that I won't know what to do with. Also a box that big would take a lot of gravel, idk how much it is yet but cost is another factor. I'm on a budget :/ New house and all, money been flying out the window since we moved in.

Edit: So, new measurements. If I went the full length, it would be 10ft long, anywhere from 2-3ft wide, and up to 3ft high. That would leave almost half of the runoff puddle exposed. I would need some small 2x4's to help support the bottom, since the puddle would prevent the 'floor' of the box from laying on the ground. This seems doable, and would look pretty nice when done. I can always sell one or two of those prefabs...

Attachments

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
10x2 with 1 foot gravel Pea gravel at $5 per .5 cubic foot will run around $400. Way out of my budget o_O

Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:

Ask a Question