Koi Pond Coating….a Good Idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I can help I think: See this guy?
With Mystic Koi & Water Garden, Shawn McHenry uses my son's Seal Tite, the Spray-Lining & Coating "service". He even reviewed it here: http://www.manta.com/p/6qm202h8z2c9ky_/jedd-luppino... That's expensive but this guy Randy Lontz as Spray-lining & Coatings has these little show its for DIY Pond Coatings for Koi and any life... I cannot afford my son but Randy said to post 972-996-7326 ext 311 and (e-mail address removed). As for UV Coating in ponds just ask him- I think they have it but I never asked. Check out this - another winner at Nishikigoi of the World!
your son has that koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope I can help someone with my hard earned lessons in Koi pond building. There is a lot of marketing of many types of concrete sealers, and I have tried a lot of them. Look at the warranty. They all say how great their sealing is, but will they stand behind it? Can you talk to pond owner who used their product 10 years ago? Believe it or not, the cost is only slightly related to effectiveness. My favorites in order of best to worst are: Crystalline (Reactive Silica), Pebble tech type Plaster, Rubbers (Polyurea bedliner, Urethanes, EPDM, etc), Epoxy (which is a waist of money). You may also want consider integral sealer which is added to into the concrete mix prior to applying (shotcrete, gunnite, or pored if its a gentle slope). The best bond for cementious based coatings is a rough open pore green concrete (free of efflorescence). As the concrete ages the bonding method changes from a chemical bond to a purely mechanical filler bond needing even better prep. The rubber and epoxy based concretes usually needs a dry open poor rough surface. Prepping the surface is very critical for good bonding to the concrete. Make sure to follow the recommended directions. Always error on more prep. What I don't like about the rubber is the cost, and the epoxy doesn't last, it flakes off after 5 to 10 years.

Now to talk about my favorite coating by far, the Crystalline (Fumed Silica based type). I use Zypex (there are other brands which I have not tried yet: Kryton,Permaquick, Penetron, Vandex, etc. Just Google crystalline water proofing). It is a cementious based coating which soaks into the concrete and reacts with water in the to create a non-water soluble silica base crystals (jell) deep inside the concrete. It fills in the open capilaries in the concrete. After proper application, it will sit dormant in the concrete until moisture is present which makes it grow the waterproof crystals. It grows towards where the water is, filling cracks and pores. Its self sealing and will self repair future cracks up to .4mm (which is a pretty big crack for reinforced concrete). It is non-toxic, used for dams, concrete potable water tanks, fish ponds, underground parking structures, etc.

I had 8 foot deep 20,000 gallon pebble tech coated cement pond that sat empty for an entire year after a large leak formed dropping the water level 6 inches a day. It was acid etched to open the pores and one coat of Zypex was applied (three 5 gallon tubes of Xypex concentrate at $160 each) and that did it, no more leaks! The great thing about this coating is that its permanent, it will remain dormant until moisture is present which will make waterproof crystals grow into the cracks and seal them. Wish I have found this stuff 20 years ago. The pond is full and future cracks will seal as they form.

Side note: Color only matters for the portion above the waterline. Within a short time it will be covered with Algae, so simple gray is fine by me. In California we get a black algae so why add color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No Usman. My son applies Seal Tite as an applicator ( who I cannot afford) of Spray-Lining & Coatings. It's is a polyurea made by Flexible Lining Systems specific to fish ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Koi pond Bill! Your post 11-28-16 was confusing. Are you for real? If you are please accept my humble apologies. We all need to learn new coating stuff! I do because of several ponds I've managed for my club (neighbors & friends really). I "think" I've had serious experience with various pond sealers, Lining and Coating Services, cementitious liners and gunite. Tried following SLC polyurea spray-on lining coatings products, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray-lining, etc. I was defrauded by coatings applicators from SPI, a Line-X truck bed liner dealer and numerous DIY pond coating trials. Of all repair solutions and permanent (or almost permanent) alternatives yours made no logical sense. Please forgive me then (if you have some patience), correct me!
First I agree no epoxy belongs in a pond. But your best to worst being,
1- " Crystalline (Reactive Silica) "... Isn't that even more brittle, dangerous stuff? Look at this: https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/crystalline-factsheet.pdf ... AND THIS: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.549.3615&rep=rep1&type=pdf
2- Next best according to you was. " Pebble tech type Plaster ", I know Pebble Tec if that's what you meant. It's EPDM colored beads with an adhesive in it applied to pool decks only. Not meant for live fish or any pond at all. With Plaster? Where does plaster have any relation to ponds with live fish in em? I looked up Pebble tech type Plaster- zilch!
3- Then the "worst" you state was, " Rubbers (Polyurea bedliner, Urethanes, EPDM, etc) " - IMPOSSIBLE. Polyurea bedliner is NOT rubber. OK, urethanes have their place and although within your worst they are certainly popular. I've proven that any 1 or 2 stage urethane, usually sold as DIY Truck Bed Liner but also as pond coatings sold at retail stores are false promises in pretty packages.
So I'd agree on "worst" but must add Epoxy IS really bad.
4- EPDM? That's great stuff when used correctly... EPDM is not known as best OR worst among knowledgeable applicators in this business or us with experience.
5- Crystalline (Fumed Silica based type)- Fumed Silica or Cabosil is a thickening agent used in several coatings. It lowers the cost like a filler. It reduces density, It LOWERS FLEXIBILITY and, there are ZERO comments of anyone adding this or for that matter, "Zypex", which I believe you meant Xypex, that claimed success over a year later.
When you stated, "I had 8 foot deep 20,000 gallon pebble tech coated cement pond that sat empty for an entire year after a large leak formed dropping the water level 6 inches a day", Pebble Tec if you look it up. It's designed to seep through i.e. on decks in order to drain. Although their adhesive might be used for a coating at times.
After many frustrated hours of reading, with my son's help, this review from this coatings exec was most informative: "Customer Review By John Zieser". That guy lead me to this, like a competitive coatings instruction report http://spray-lining.net/ultimate-diy-polyurea-system/
Lastly, if your, "future cracks will seal as they form", please advise. All pond owners require this. I hope you're more well read the us here or me!!! Hope you're not a Fraudulent Solutions Artist Spray-Lining or Coatings Hustler! (sorry? &) Thanks!

Last edited:

Ask a Question