Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very true! And how thick would it have to be? Im assuming size of the rock itself. Unless I do a flagstone but that would not really provide a very natural feel as much as actual rocks would look.
Just maybe a few inches deep really. Just keep in mind that there will be some evaporation. So if it's too shallow, you might get liner exposure if the water level drops due to evaporation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We've seen pictures of ponds that could be really nice looking, but the liner is completely exposed between the water surface and the ground, ruining the look.

Most of us here strive to make our ponds as natural as possible in looks, function and water chemistry. An exposed liner defeats that, as far as looks go.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just maybe a few inches deep really. Just keep in mind that there will be some evaporation. So if it's too shallow, you might get liner exposure if the water level drops due to evaporation.

Awesome I do understand and will be implementing this. Any advise for the bottom of the pond underneath the liner? Should I put some sand or fine gravel to make sure the pond is 100% level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hould I put some sand or fine gravel to make sure the pond is 100% level?

Not at all necessary unless you want the sand as a cushion between the liner and soil.

In fact, I would not make the bottom flat at all. I would slope it to one point so that if you ever need to drain, you can place your pump in that one spot and get every last bit of water out.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not at all necessary unless you want the sand as a cushion between the liner and soil.

In fact, I would not make the bottom flat at all. I would slope it to one point so that if you ever need to drain, you can place your pump in that one spot and get every last bit of water out.

Slooping towards the skimmer? or does not matter at all?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here you go.... a picture is worth a thousand words....

Post in thread 'Help for a newbie' https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/help-for-a-newbie.31153/post-493925
Here is my fake fish rendition of a rock hiding liner shelf. Gray is rocks
rock edge_LI.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I have used both, have both here at home. My HDRPE is tough stuff, yeah a bit harder to work corners but it is tough.

My small ponds, under 1000 gallon , I used epdm, have had to fix a few critter tears, luckily up on the edge. Not as tough. Looking for a leak in one currently, HDRPE pond no leaks. The epdm ponds are younger than the HDRPE pond.

Thank you for this information... I noted that...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is the best type of tubbing? I will be plumping and installing the tub underground.

I see some plastic tubs, vinyl tubs, flexible pvc tubs ect..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Opss , correct

TUBES***
Ok, so most of us use PVC pipe. It's inexpensive and easy to work with.
If you need guidance on how to install pvc pipe, we can help you with that.

Then there's areas where you may need a flexible hose and the best thing for that is schedule 40 flexible PVC. It's totally compatible with all standard schedule 40 ridgid PVC fittings and also the primer and glue. It comes in white or black. I like the black for inside the pond. It's less noticeable.

Both standard PVC and flex PVC can be buried if you like.
I personally have all my plumbing within the pond and bog, so if anything leaks, no water can escape the system.

Don't waste your money on the common corregated "pond hose". It wont last very long and you'll get frustrated with constant leaks.

Try to incorporate a means of easy disconnecting of your pipe/pump for winter removal or general maintenance. The best thing for this would be a union.
Second choice would be a rubber Fernco coupling.

Ask a Question